Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I would make higher estimates in Morocco, TUnia, Libya,Egypt all of which are primarily Africans of Caucasian ancestry(Berbers and Berber/Arab mixes). Generally although some Sudanese consider themselves "Arab" I would hardly think that people would identify them as such simply on the basis of language and/or religion. However, the "Africans" you seem to be refering to are primarily North African Caucasians. I think the general concensus is--whether you're refering to Arabs above the penninsula or "Africans" living below it...the people are "Caucasian" regardless.
No, when I refer to Africans, I mean people who are of obvious black African ancestry. Though I am mixed African and Caucasian, I am considered to be black African here in America, and I have seen people from the Gulf states and North Africa who are as phenotypically black African as I am or even more so. I do not know of any Sudanese who are actually Caucasian (i.e., purely of the "white" racial category). I realize that many Algerians, Tunisians, Moroccans and Libyans are Arab/Berber of overwhelmingly Caucasian origin, but that many in North Africa and the Gulf states are not.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, when I refer to Africans, I mean people who are of obvious black African ancestry. Though I am mixed African and Caucasian, I am considered to be black African here in America, and I have seen people from the Gulf states and North Africa who are as phenotypically black African as I am or even more so. I do not know of any Sudanese who are actually Caucasian (i.e., purely of the "white" racial category). I realize that many Algerians, Tunisians, Moroccans and Libyans are Arab/Berber of overwhelmingly Caucasian origin, but that many in North Africa and the Gulf states are not.
I thought you were refering to them, and I disagree. I've also lived in the mid-east and I haven't seen exactly what you're refering to. There are a few phenotypically black people in North Africa, but they are small in number and even smaller, almost to the point of non-existance in the Arab states depending on the region. As a matter of fact, I was the first black a lot of people in the Arab states actually saw in person, outside of soccer on tv. I also believe most gulf Arabs are Caucasian as well.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not all Arabs are Caucasian. The category includes many who are of African origin. It is an ethnic category, not a racial one.

As for your dilemma, I dont think your ethnic background has anything to do with it.

Right, but Caucasion is synonymous with being white(European descent) in the US. So in a social sense, generally Arabs are not Caucasian, especially those that are beige in color. The only people I heard calling themselves Caucasian in real life are people of predominately European ancestry. Funny thing is in Russia, Caucasian is refers to people that come from the Caucasus countries like Armenia.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
A largish (maybe 50%?) of women tend to only date within their own race - especially white women - so don't feel too bad about it. Still there are plenty who are more open minded, just not gotta let the others let you down.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongAtTheGates View Post
Welp, this is pretty sad I guess and makes me somewhat upset and bitter. So, city-data forum citizens, how large of a part do you think my race plays in the fact that I am 25 and have never had so much as a date or kiss. I'm Arab living in the Midwest. I've been told I'm fairly handsome. Unfortunately women are not as shallow as we men...or perhaps shallow in other ways? What do -you- think
After 5 pages of responses do you have any suspicions as to why you arent connecting with the girls? I cant believe its a racial problem as i see mixed race couples around this city all the time.
I doubt its because you are Muslim as how would the girls know this,
Are they coming on to you then disappearing after you tell them you are a Muslim? if so dont be so quick to tell them you are Muslim.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 AM

124 posts, read 173,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After 5 pages of responses do you have any suspicions as to why you arent connecting with the girls? I cant believe its a racial problem as i see mixed race couples around this city all the time.
I doubt its because you are Muslim as how would the girls know this,
Are they coming on to you then disappearing after you tell them you are a Muslim? if so dont be so quick to tell them you are Muslim.
They probably run away when I try to force them into a burka...
I pretty much never tell anyone my religion unless directly asked.
So do you see a lot of non-Arab women dating Arabs? Somehow I doubt it. Interracial couples usually mean women dating blacks, hispanics, East Asians.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I guess if your conclusion is that American women are turned off by Arabian looking guys then your options are limited, have you got some form of Arab community/Islamic Society of Wichita in your city? if so you may want to check it out and see if the Arabian girls are more friendly toward you.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
KongAtThegates ~~ are you ugly ~~ prolly not? Join a gym, participate in what ever church you happen to go to. There's singles dances in a lot of towns. Go clubbin' with a couple of buddies.
Make your own happiness.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongAtTheGates View Post
So, city-data forum citizens, how large of a part do you think my race plays in the fact that I am 25 and have never had so much as a date or kiss.
i think your race plays very little role in that.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Right, but Caucasion is synonymous with being white(European descent) in the US. So in a social sense, generally Arabs are not Caucasian, especially those that are beige in color. The only people I heard calling themselves Caucasian in real life are people of predominately European ancestry.
All true. And when you also consider that many consider those of the Indian subcontinent Caucasian (I don't), all of this gets very confusing. Too much so, really.

Quote:
Funny thing is in Russia, Caucasian is refers to people that come from the Caucasus countries like Armenia.
Yup. Terms like kavkaz, I believe, as well as some variant on chernye, Russian for black. Isn't that the ultimate irony, that Caucasian people are called black in Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships