Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

It's all good to be a loner, until when you get sick, need a ride to the airport, car breaks down, or some other crap. Then it sucks....

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
It's all good to be a loner, until when you get sick, need a ride to the airport, car breaks down, or some other crap. Then it sucks....
Not sure what the sick part has to do with anything... ride to the airport? Public transportation or taxi. Car breaks down? You should have AAA :P

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM

93 posts, read 168,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's something I've often wondered. We're pretty much biologically hardwired to need some form of social interaction. Some people need a lot of it, some people not so much. But it seems that no matter what, you gotta have at least a couple of friends.

So, do you think a person can lead a happy life with little to no social interaction? Do you know someone like that?
I'm one of the few people who can speak with authority on this matter. But the question is do i want to tell you the story so you will think i'm crazy?

hmmmm....

Not really! HAHA!

With 0 interaction it's not possible to have happiness. however, the Internet can provide the social contact people need at a very basic level. It's much easier nowadays. The issue of happiness is a very reletive term. I'm not sure most people have it. But when yourshort on human contact you have less of it.

I'm still not the most social person in the world. But you wouldn't know i had a melt down that lasted for years if you knew me. I'm certainly not telling anyone i know.

*added* No i'm not a mutant btw. Or a freaky person, or a recluse. I almost always smile and i talk way too much.

Last edited by mark303; 09-12-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Nah it's not to think you're crazy. Idk, it'd be nice to not need social interaction in order to be happy. One less thing to worry about, y'know?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
"Hell is other people."--Jean Paul Sartre

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,215 times
Quote:
It's something I've often wondered. We're pretty much biologically hardwired to need some form of social interaction. Some people need a lot of it, some people not so much. But it seems that no matter what, you gotta have at least a couple of friends.
So, do you think a person can lead a happy life with little to no social interaction? Do you know someone like that?
My dad only had my mom. (also my sister and I but we did not live at home). I never saw my dad hanging out w/other men or associating with other besides the men he worked with. When he died it was only my mom, my sister, our children and my husband at the funeral.

I am the total opposite though, BUT I have a tendency to be alone by choice. My sister has no adult friends either. She will die alone.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
There are times I like to be around other people and times I like to be alone. I'm not one of those people who could survive on a deserted island without human contact. I'd end up having a best friend named "Wilson" made out of a coconut shell. I guess you can say I enjoy being alone so long as I know someone is near and it's not permanent, if that makes any sense.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM

93 posts, read 168,946 times
Quote:
Nah it's not to think you're crazy. Idk, it'd be nice to not need social interaction in order to be happy. One less thing to worry about, y'know?
Ya... no. It would make life totally pointless. Do you really want your existence to be irrelevant? To look back on your life and have no memories? Even the most basic of memory to have requires interaction with another person. I look back on the years i lost and i realise I was not alive. i was in a state of conscious coma. Not even a waste, something that that i lost i can never have back.

It's not possible to have any happiness with 0 human interaction. The internet can give a lot if thats all someone has and it qualifies as some. But people really need other people in their presence.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Not sure what the sick part has to do with anything... ride to the airport? Public transportation or taxi. Car breaks down? You should have AAA :P
If you ever need surgery for something, you will need someone there to take care of you when you come home from the hospital. They might not even discharge you unless they know someone is there to help you. It happened to me less than three months after I moved to my new location. I was under strict orders not to bend or lift anything (imagine 18 staples holding your guts in). I knew almost no one here and thanked my lucky stars my guy was available to help me when I first came home, or the hospital would have had to send a nurse to visit me every day.

I'm a loner and don't need a lot of human interaction, but true hermits are rare. Studies show that [URL="http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/content/full/63/2/273"]social isolation is bad for your health[/URL] and longevity. You may feel you don't need any friends, but on some level, you do. That's part of being human. Take it from a misanthrope.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Our lives ARE already irrelevant. There are countless anonymous people who never touched MY life in any fashion, who've never become any sort of celebrity status, who just died yesterday. I'll never know who they are--but they wouldn't matter to me anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships