Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,342,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms11237 View Post
What about a fiance who refuses to go to sleep at a decent hour, because he has "work" to get done (mostly non-urgent, messing with computer configurations), and has just said that he doesn't want me going to sleep before him. He also has said I'm not "allowed" to leave for work before him, even though that means I will always be late, since he can't get to work on time to save his life. Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?
umm, you're kidding right? Please tell me you are joking. What is his rationale for putting these ridiculous restrictions on you again? And why are you "ALLOWING" him to control you like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,369,926 times
Quote:
What about a fiance who refuses to go to sleep at a decent hour, because he has "work" to get done (mostly non-urgent, messing with computer configurations), and has just said that he doesn't want me going to sleep before him. He also has said I'm not "allowed" to leave for work before him, even though that means I will always be late, since he can't get to work on time to save his life. Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?

He seems to have control issues. I would turn the tables on him and make some crazy rules of my own that he must follow or risk not having me follow his rules.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
umm, you're kidding right? Please tell me you are joking. What is his rationale for putting these ridiculous restrictions on you again? And why are you "ALLOWING" him to control you like that?
I really wish I were kidding. He just said this this morning as we were walking out the door. The rationale is that he's swamped and stressed and thinks I ought to be doing more to help him get things done. I suspect that he thinks it will make me more proactive about helping him the night before.

I have not yet responded to him regarding his request....

Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,453,802 times
Quote:
Why do you comply? Fear?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
He seems to have control issues. I would turn the tables on him and make some crazy rules of my own that he must follow or risk not having me follow his rules.
This is definitely where my mind is going. He tends to come up with these insane things when he's extremely tired and stressed.... but I'm definitely thinking up counterbalancing rules.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,453,802 times
Quote:
This is definitely where my mind is going. He tends to come up with these insane things when he's extremely tired and stressed.... but I'm definitely thinking up counterbalancing rules.
A simple no works too.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,953,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sleeping, to me, is a waste of time. I don't like sleeping more than four hours myself. That gives me 20 hours to be awake.
The point is, I think, it's not just about him. There's someone else to consider who does need their sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships