Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 AM

326 posts, read 837,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Sometimes people are just curious. Like if you told people you knew people who practice wicca, I am sure you were asked questions. It is an uncommon practice to many, and they would just want to know about it. Also, saying you are from Salem might encourage some people to try to be funny about Salem's past...yes, I know it is not the best thing to do, but people like to connect in some way, and to many the only thing they know about Salem is that it was home to some witch trials. If people are not rude to you, I wouldn't worry about it. Asking questions is no big deal. If you don't want to answer, don't.

I am talking about a few devout christians who were actually very afraid or disturbed by wiccan "devil worship". Not any ole' body that is interested in other belief systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
I am talking about a few devout christians who were actually very afraid or disturbed by wiccan "devil worship". Not any ole' body that is interested in other belief systems.
Ok a few do not represent the majority of Southerners. Why would you care what a "few" people thought? If people don't approve of me, I could care less.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Also I am sure you can find a "few" devout Chrisitians anywhere in the nation or the world for that matter. Christianity is not restricted to the South.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Cultural - and every region of this country and the world certain has its own - differences certainly influence our relationships. Though I like to treat people as individuals and usually avoid generalization, I will share some of my observations. I want to stress that these are generalizations from what I have observed and that I have met many people who do not fit these descriptions!

Northeast: People tend to be very straightforward. Sharing your opinion about something - even if that opinion is not solicited - is often seen as caring; not impolite. People are less outwardly friendly to people they do not know, but are equally as loyal and kind to you once you get to know them. If a conversation is going on, it is not uncommon for two people to be speaking at the same time; for someone to be interrupting the other during the telling of a story. This isn't seen as pushy or rude; many people feel that it shows that the other person is interested in the story and wants to more actively participate in the exchange of words. This can be frustrating to people from other regions.

South: People are very conscious about being cordial to others in public, including to people they do not like. Friendliness and making others feel welcome are held in high esteem. Once a Southerner starts a friendly conversation, it is not uncommon for him/her to ask you personal questions. Though this may be seen as intrusive to others, Southerners do it to get to know you and would be open to you asking the very same questions to them. Though many people label Southerners as nosey, I don't think they are any more nosey than people from the Northeast. "Ma'am" and "sir" seem to be used in the South more than in any other region of this country.

Midwest: Midwesterners are some of the least confrontational people in the country. Though Southerners are also very cordial, a Southerner is more likely to speak up when disagreeing with someone than a Midwesterner. Midwesterners seem to avoid conflict and offending others, seeing such actions as rude behavior. It is sometimes hard to read a Midwesterner, when s/he is always smiling and acting so polite. Southerners and people from the Northeast have a harder time pretending that things are less-than-ideal when there is a problem or awkwardness between them and another. Midwesterners seem to be very community-oriented and are very good about introducing themselves to new neighbors and becoming involved with neighborhood activities.

West: Westerners are laid-back, live-and-let-live people. Individuality is valued over community, although many people are civic-minded and care deeply about issues such as the environment. People are generally pretty outwardly friendly, but perhaps not as much so as Southerners. Vestiges of old-world social practices are not nearly as commonly found in the West than they are in the East.

Latin cultures (Latin America and the Mediterannean): Latin people are even more straightforward than people from the Northeast. When asking someone, "how are you?" do not be surprised if the person you are engaging in conversation takes the question as an opportunity to complain about their day or gossip about what they just heard about the neighbor. Unsolicited criticism is seen as loving and caring; it is common for friends (even acquaintances, in some cases) or family members to tease each other about an ugly shirt or a few extra pounds. People do not go out of their way to be friendly, but are very willing to converse with a stranger if they are engaged by that stranger to do so. People greatly value private property (most detached homes have gates or fences around them; no open lawns) and public space (community plazas with chairs and tables in them, cafes), and there is a clear delineation between the two. People are cautious with strangers at first, but once trust is established, close friendships develop pretty quickly.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Oh and I am very trustworthy. Don't know what that has to do with it.
Me neither, especially considering some religious leaders live double lives themselves...

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I've never been with a southern chick but I heard they make awesome southern style fried chicken.
Are you thinking like the advice thread?? Cooking a nice meal and oral sex

Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
I've always attended school in the South and I can say that I've always had a slight difficulty relating to a good chunk of my peers. This is because I have a completely different view on life, people, and the world than many of them though. My family is spread out throughout three different continents. I've been on planes since I was a year old. I've met people from so many different walks of life. I grew up with the influence of three different cultures. On top of that, my family raised me to function with ease in the adult world. Everything from social environments to getting tasks done to simply filling out forms. I was definitely spoiled as the only kid, but I was never babied... except when it came to bugs and emotional situations lol.

I have many things in common with my peers, but often I find it hard to relate to them and the things they obsess about and focus on. I find much of it petty and pointless, but in turn some of them probably find me snobby and cold. I do make an effort, but often end up feeling like mom lol.

Interesting enough though... I get along great with people that have grew up in large cities and/or have traveled.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,383 times
To me it seems like southern women are easier to talk to and have more class than northern women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships