Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Where did people get this notion that you can only ever love one person at a time? We don't just only love our Mother and not our Father or only one brother etc.

We can love lots of friends, so why can we not love another person like we love our significant other?

In some cultures having an affair is the norm. In Japan you can almost guarantee men sleep around. In Europe adultery seldom splits families up.

Western society has really taken monogamy to levels unprecedented in history.

A lot of our culture is based off puritanical values is why which even continues to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 AM

396 posts, read 732,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm sorry but its REALLY annoying when people start quoting dictionary definitions in threads. I'm not an idiot. I know what forsaking means.
forsaking ALL OTHERS as it pertains to the marriage vows simply means you will respect your partner and not have a marital affair or relationship with another while married to your spouse. I was making a joke about open marriages.
Obviously I am against open marriages. Call me old fashioned.
Perhaps that was in your marriage vows... it was not in mine. Nor do your marriage vows "trump" everyone else's. In the big scheme of history of humankind, the marriage vow you refer to is relatively young.

Nor does it bind anyone but those who take it.

Amazingly enough, in this world, not everybody gets married using the same vows, making the same promises, or even under the same God. I know that will come as a shock to you - so many concepts of this kind often seem to.

In addition to that, in this country, no one is bound to follow the spiritual laws or religious morals of anyone else.

In other words: Your mentioning of those vows is utterly irrelevant unless you are speaking ONLY about your own marriage and the vows you took.

They don't apply to anyone else.

You're totally free to be against open marriage to your heart's content. As long as it remains an opinion, and not something you're trying to force someone else to live by, it's all good.

My marriage vows pertained to things my husband and I deemed important. You may not approve, of the vows or of the parameters of our marriage for that matter, but ours is as valid as yours under the laws in this country - and in this country, that is all that matters fortunately.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Perhaps that was in your marriage vows... it was not in mine. Nor do your marriage vows "trump" everyone else's. In the big scheme of history of humankind, the marriage vow you refer to is relatively young.

Nor does it bind anyone but those who take it.

Amazingly enough, in this world, not everybody gets married using the same vows, making the same promises, or even under the same God. I know that will come as a shock to you - so many concepts of this kind often seem to.

In addition to that, in this country, no one is bound to follow the spiritual laws or religious morals of anyone else.

In other words: Your mentioning of those vows is utterly irrelevant unless you are speaking ONLY about your own marriage and the vows you took.

They don't apply to anyone else.

You're totally free to be against open marriage to your heart's content. As long as it remains an opinion, and not something you're trying to force someone else to live by, it's all good.

My marriage vows pertained to things my husband and I deemed important. You may not approve, of the vows or of the parameters of our marriage for that matter, but ours is as valid as yours under the laws in this country - and in this country, that is all that matters fortunately.
Did I say I was picketing outside churches where open marriages were taking place. NO I didn't. I said I don't agree with them. You obviously do agree with it and that's fine for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Every tueday night at the local church :-P

Good try. Lucario was agreeing with me.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Every tueday night at the local church :-P
I'll be there, quarters in hand.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM

239 posts, read 596,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Open relationships make about as much sense to me as buying a car, parking it in your driveway and renting another.
That's why everyone (and every relationship) is different....thank goodness we're not all the same.

Personally, I think if the two people in question are happy and it works for them...then more power to them.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM

239 posts, read 596,012 times
Quote:
My advice is this: If you want an open relationship then don't get married. Stay single and just have sex with whoever you to want whenever you want to and no one gets hurt. Simple as that.
Hmmm. Just because YOU wouldn't have an open marriage, does NOT mean that someone who WOULD have an open marriage, should stay away from marriage in the first place.

Obviously, you don't want an open marriage. If that makes you happy, then great...more power to you. But you really shouldn't try and impose YOUR "marriage rules" (that's basically what they are), on another couple.

If another couple is happily married having an open marriage, and it works for them, just like your monogamous marriage works for you...then more power to them.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:29 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
What I want to know is........

in an open relationship if one partner wants to sleep with someone the other does not approve of and they go ahead and sleep with them anyway....is it considered cheating? If so, what makes them any different than traditional relationships...the approval process?
And is there paperwork that needs to be signed/stamped?

I'm pretty d*** sure I couldn't handle an open relationship, even if it had been mutually agreed upon. I do know myself somewhat.

I agree with the points being made. Another thing that probably comes into play, the "extra thrill" involved in cheating as opposed to "open relationships."

Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Hmmm. Just because YOU wouldn't have an open marriage, does NOT mean that someone who WOULD have an open marriage, should stay away from marriage in the first place.

Obviously, you don't want an open marriage. If that makes you happy, then great...more power to you. But you really shouldn't try and impose YOUR "marriage rules" (that's basically what they are), on another couple.

If another couple is happily married having an open marriage, and it works for them, just like your monogamous marriage works for you...then more power to them.

You should really stop trying to impose YOUR opinion on me. It is MY opinion. People who want open marriages should not get married. I'm not going to stop them from getting married if that's what they want to do but don't try and tell me I can't have an opinion on the subject alrighty?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
You should really stop trying to impose YOUR opinion on me. It is MY opinion. People who want open marriages should not get married. I'm not going to stop them from getting married if that's what they want to do but don't try and tell me I can't have an opinion on the subject alrighty?

To me, the term "open marriage" is an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships