Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,320,266 times

Advertisements

And I mean EVERYONE. Friends, co-workers, family, strangers, even the guy who changed my oil today asked me why I wasn't married and didn't have kids.

It's like people don't think you're "normal" or something if you're a female and don't have kids by a certain age.

Is anyone else going through this?

What do you say to people who ask you that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,842,615 times
It's social pressure. A whole lot of it. This really bugs me. (I'm married and have children, BTW.) I hate that women are pushed and prodded into their correct little "areas" at any given life stage. I mean WTH?

So stupid.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,670 times
So WHEN are you having kids?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,157,860 times
pump out a kid and they will shut up

Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
For me, people are surprised when I tell them I don't have children and I DON'T WANT ANY.

That's when they really get started..........good grief.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:32 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,798,181 times
Another variation: people were always asking me when I'd have another child. Apparently, having only one child is "strange" to some people. "Don't you want him to have a brother or sister to grow up with?" Well, my child is a special needs child, and I just don't have the time for another. It wouldn't be fair to the other child.

It's not how I planned things, but it's how things are.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
And I mean EVERYONE. Friends, co-workers, family, strangers, even the guy who changed my oil today asked me why I wasn't married and didn't have kids.

It's like people don't think you're "normal" or something if you're a female and don't have kids by a certain age.

Is anyone else going through this?

What do you say to people who ask you that?
Well my usual retort is not suitable for mixed company. I'll just say it involves sheep, and leave it at that.

But back in the day I put such in their place smartly.

Since DW and I are both north of 50 I think it's understood it ain't happenin.

OP, are you somewhere in the Bible Belt? My sympathies if you are.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Another variation: people were always asking me when I'd have another child. Apparently, having only one child is "strange" to some people. "Don't you want him to have a brother or sister to grow up with?" Well, my child is a special needs child, and I just don't have the time for another. It wouldn't be fair to the other child.

It's not how I planned things, but it's how things are.
Isn't that something, people don't know a damn thing about your situation but always make suggestions on what you should do or could do.

My best friend says he gets a lot of flack when he mentions he has not traveled much. It burns him up because while others were out traveling and spending money he spent all of his money taking care of two ill parents.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,798,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Isn't that something, people don't know a damn thing about your situation but always make suggestions on what you should do or could do.

My best friend says he gets a lot of flack when he mentions he has not traveled much. It burns him up because while others were out traveling and spending money he spent all of his money taking care of two ill parents.
Exactly. Shuts them up really fast when you tell them you spend most of your time in doctor's offices and hospitals, and can't afford a nanny to watch the siblings.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM

20,885 posts, read 19,345,190 times
I get asked this all the time. I don't let it bother me. People are well-meaning. Take it as a compliment that people think you are so lovable that they can't imagine you not wanting what they want. Heck, I often wonder why people get marry and have kids, although I don't ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships