Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times

Advertisements

Be serious sometimes, even the best of comedians have their serious moments. Being a clown 24/7 may make people think that you are juvenile and incapable of adult thought. They will be dissuaded in trying to have a more meaningful friendship/relationship with you. Not only that, but it can also be annoying. I used to know a clownish person, and I was so peeved when I was trying to have a meaningful talk with him, but he kept shooting jokes. It felt insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
OP, here's another possible choice - if you value being yourself more than the relationship, then go ahead and BE yourself.

Only YOU know how important this relationship is to you. And don't let some of the above comments throw you off - people like Robin Williams are considered (by some, anyway) to be comedic geniuses, and like most geniuses you pay a price - but you also gain fame, fulfillment and recognition.

Once you get past all the blather about comedy always being a defensive reaction or a cover-up for insecurity, you might discover that comedy is your calling in life. Where would you be if you discard the gift you have, just to conform to some societal idea of what is proper? You'd be denying your very nature.

As for dead cats - one of the most successful, longest-running plays on Broadway, "CATS", revolved around the central premise of a cat dying. Hell, they sang and danced about it!

You probably have many serious moments in your own mind - people just take exception when you don't share them, because then you're not "playing by the rules". Just watch the reactions to my post here - there's bound to be someone lecturing me on how inappropriate my response is. Well, damn the rules, says I - if you can hack being a solo act, you might have a golden future.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
You're comparing the OP to Robin Williams now and telling him not to waste his talent? As I recall the OP never claimed to be some comedic genius

Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
You're comparing the OP to Robin Williams now and telling him not to waste his talent? As I recall the OP never claimed to be some comedic genius
No, he didn't, and I agree my comment made it sound like I'm calling the OP one - didn't mean it that way. Just that talent follows it's own path.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
So the OP has two choices--he can pursue his "art" or he can seek a deeper relationship with his GF? Well, even if he doesn't love this girl enough to be more vulnerable, he can consider it good practice for future relationships.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
So the OP has two choices--he can pursue his "art" or he can seek a deeper relationship with his GF? Well, even if he doesn't love this girl enough to be more vulnerable, he can consider it good practice for future relationships.
Sure. Just realize that practicing becoming more vulnerable isn't everyone's cup of soup.

I've known a few artists (painters, photographers, actors etc) that have consciously chosen to follow their art at the expense of interpersonal relationships. From what they've told me, they get everything they need - happiness, balance, stimulation and so on - from doing this. They have a different "call" than most of society, and were never truly happy trying to fit into what that society dictated.

Granted, maybe the OP needs to back off a bit if they want to have the best of both worlds - but compromise, at least in terms of climbing to the top of your chosen field, might not always be the best choice. Only the OP knows that.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 AM

256 posts, read 894,449 times
"Why so serious?"

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No he has the problem.You can't go through life making jokes at inappropriate times. The OP needs to learn when it is appropriate and when its not.
Yes, there is a time and place for everything.

But if somebody is usually jokey, so what? I think his girlfriend needs to be more tolerant. Healthy people are so, right?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Jokey all the time is really not good. One would think that a person who is always on is a fun person to be around but more times than not 99.999999% of the time, it shows some sort of insecurity.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
I think it's the insecurity of others, not the jokey person. One expects everybody for who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships