Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM

143 posts, read 258,322 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are constantly having the same argument....well not really an argument but 'tension' over chores. I know it seems silly but according to this it's more common than I knew.

[SIZE=3]http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39267764/ns/today-relationships/[/SIZE]

Just like the article says, I feel I do everything and he feels he does everything....
How do you guys resolve this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
We don't fight about it but if we did, I'd probably put a written agreement in place. A contract of sorts.

Or maybe hire outside help to do it for us.

What I would NOT do, is to continue doing more than my fair share while complaining about it and feeling resentment over it. That can't go on for very long before it kills all the good feelings between you and your spouse. It's not a good thing to let go unresolved.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
I would recommend you either discuss who is going to do which chores so there isn't any doubt, or perhaps come up with a schedule. One week you got it, next week he's got it.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I just make him do everything. Problem solved.

And when he complains about having to do it all, I just say "you're right." Hearing me admit he's right distracts him and he forgets what his argument was.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Boodha is right on. Feeling that your partner isn't meeting you nearly half way (40/60; 60/40) is going to create resentment. Resentment kills relationships. Talk to him. Explain how you feel to him. Then decide to either accept that he is the way he is or it will eat at you and end the relationship.

Communication is the key. My s/o and I worked it all out. I stay at home to take care of him and the house. That's my contribution to our relationship. However, he does an awful lot around here. He pitches in wherever he sees the need whether it's dishes, meals, vacuuming, etc. The point is, it's my responsibility BY AGREEMENT.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM

93 posts, read 169,043 times
I'm single, so I tell myself I need to do chores then I go watch TV.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:20 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
I'm pretty lucky. I clean the apartment: vacuum, make dinner, do the food shopping and clean the litterbox. He does the laundry, writes out checks for the bills, takes the garbage and recyclables down, and buys all the other crap that's not food: TP, shampoo, dish soap...

We take turns doing dishes and feeding the cat. Other than that, there's not much else to do. Thankfully he's very organized and never leaves clothes or crap all over the place.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM

751 posts, read 1,674,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.stevers.xo View Post
My spouse and I are constantly having the same argument....well not really an argument but 'tension' over chores. I know it seems silly but according to this it's more common than I knew.

[SIZE=3]http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39267764/ns/today-relationships/[/SIZE]

Just like the article says, I feel I do everything and he feels he does everything....
How do you guys resolve this issue?

My b/f and I don't argue about chores to be done around our home.We just do them. We tend to find something more important then chores to disagree on.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
We dont fight about anything, but she kind of gets upset with me if/when I dont notice things. I just tell her that I dont have a "woman's eye" for those types of things. Some things I dont even notice until she points them out to me. I mean I REALLY dont notice them.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
We don't fight/argue over chores.......I do most of the cooking and it doesn't bother me to load/run/unload the dishwasher, do the laundry (including stripping the bed), iron a few clothes if necessary, do some dusting, water the plants and vaccum the floors. She mops the tile floors, cleans the bathrooms and also dusts. We are an older (early 60's) couple that have no problems with sharing chores!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships