Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Great point! Nothing like a real obvious narcissist alert!
Every now and then, I'll see a young couple together in a restaurant. They're both on their phones typing away instead of talking to one another. I can't help but wonder if they're texting each other instead of, y'know, actually having a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
While this isn't directed exclusively at women, it seems to be more prevalent among women.

While you are constantly texting, checking Facebook, tweeting, and gossiping on the phone while you are driving and weaving in and out of traffic, life is actually going on! I recently broke up with an otherwise nice girl who was constantly tethered to her I Phone, constantly on Facebook, and we'd hang out and all I'd here is an annoying chime that would distract us and she absolutely had to see which pizza place her friend was eating at, or which baby picture was being posted.

There is a such thing as being too connected, ladies (and some dudes too). Why is this new generation of girls (generally aged 21-30) feel that everything they have to say is important and people want to read it? Are we creating a generation people who feel extremely self-important?

BTW, I just had enough and I was sitting on the couch next to her when the thing went off like 4 times in a row. So I got up, left, got in my truck and drove off. Peace out. She called me and she said "why the heck did you leave without saying goodbye?" I texted her "Goodbye"....maybe a dick move but I had mentioned several times to her that it annoyed me, and it seemed to be the only way to get through to her.
Excellent way to break up with her, under this particular set of circumstances. Way to go!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM

187 posts, read 196,104 times
Saw a guy at work tonight with the notorious phone. He was standing off to the side and simply taking care of business. It was clearly a temporary connect and at a time of nothing doing.

I thought that was perfectly fair. Theres a difference between prolonged anti social diddling and
mature usage.
Great comments in this thread and maybe people at large are actually a little more mindful of
the effect we have on others, in our every day lives

Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
Maybe when I get time to I might read all 14+ or so pages but I wanted to know how many people here would how long would it take for some of you to finally say ENOUGH!! Ok your BF/GF is on thier smart phone texting emailing what ever now how long will you put up with that? Really some people are so into their phones that they aren't into ANYTHING else. That includes the person they are with! So no matter how interesting you are your NOT more interesting then their smart phone. I have a friend who has an iPhone she's always on it, we will have a good conversation going and shes gets a message and HAS to answer it!! She answers it then we start talking again, it's annoying to be interupted by BS!! she will then tell me ohh it wasn't an important email or txt... OK then ignore the phone for 5 minutes. People can't let it go for five minutes maybe I am uninteresting ok thats fine but it's just straight up rude to keep ignoring the company your with ALL the time.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 PM

42 posts, read 49,077 times
To the OP:

This sounds like my Soon To Be Ex. She even takes the damn thing with her to the toilet.

I swear I don't understand this fascination. Or maybe it's because she's just not that interested in me anymore.

Good call on your part.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
A friend was having some friends over at his place, they have a little "house" band and people drop by all the time. One of his guy friends took a call and asked if this 21+ year old girl he knew and her two friends could come over. My friends said sure send them on over. One of the girls spent the entire night texting and spending time on her iPhone instead of taking part in the party. My friend thought what is up with that. She is at a party and wasn't really there.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:29 AM

187 posts, read 196,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A friend was having some friends over at his place, they have a little "house" band and people drop by all the time. One of his guy friends took a call and asked if this 21+ year old girl he knew and her two friends could come over. My friends said sure send them on over. One of the girls spent the entire night texting and spending time on her iPhone instead of taking part in the party. My friend thought what is up with that. She is at a party and wasn't really there.
You know what....its hard to think on the spot but it would of been ok if everyone simply walked into another room or outside.

Anything to drop the reality check. Let me think.........................

Ok....could of approached her and said, hey nothing personal ,but the veranda is diddle phone headquarters. Lets go girlie. Thats a rule. (wave pointed thumb in desired direction)

Execute with a half promised smile and eyebrows raised , it should work.

Stand there and expect a little get up and go.

If she just ignores you get close to her, find something to make........

A L O T O F N O I S E

N O I S E M A Y B E O U R A N S W E R

B R I N G I T O N.........chirpy

Last edited by ClearNight; 10-02-2010 at 03:41 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have no smart phone...don't want one.

To be honest, I see far more guys exhibiting this behavior than gals.
Yup!! Ditto!!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Yup!! Ditto!!

ditto to the ditto!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Based on my own personal experience, if I'm using my blackberry when I'm with you....I'm just not that into you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships