Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times

Advertisements

[quote=boodhabunny;17947798]Long distance relationships are great for people who are fiercely independent and for those who have commitment/intimacy issues.
quote]

What makes you think I have any of these " Issues " going on, is it because I do have a long distance relationship going on that is doing very well ?, I know you didn't pick me out but you did generalize here so I take offense to you statment.
So please explain your comment to me, maybe I'm misreading it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
My wife and I lived 70 miles apart for the first 6 years of marriage. That's a trip of between an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. The hardest part of the trip was getting in the car headed to an empty house at the other end! And I'm with dragon, wondering what you mean about your statement. One reason I looked elsewhere is I lived in a small town and my ex lived in the same town. You try dating somebody who even lives in the same county (population of our county was only 20,000) and the ex starts getting phone calls. "Guess who's going out with your ex?" The further you get from home, the less phone calls she'll get about what I'm doing. I got the same phone calls about her dates, and it was the same person who called each of us. We both told her we don't care and to stop. Finally embarassed her big time in front of a crowd of people in a store. I told her she gets information out faster than CNN could ever think of doing. Neither one of us ever heard another word from her!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Long distance relationships are great for people who are fiercely independent and for those who have commitment/intimacy issues.

But if you enjoy just hanging out casually with the person you love on a regular basis (say, more than once or twice a week), then long distance relationships are not very satisfying.
Not always the case. Yes me are independent but we have no problem being intimate with one another.

We have closed the gap... And are in the next stage of our relationship. We seem to be on the same plane.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
[quote=dragonsong;17948155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Long distance relationships are great for people who are fiercely independent and for those who have commitment/intimacy issues.
quote]

What makes you think I have any of these " Issues " going on, is it because I do have a long distance relationship going on that is doing very well ?, I know you didn't pick me out but you did generalize here so I take offense to you statment.
So please explain your comment to me, maybe I'm misreading it ?
I apologize, dragonsong, I meant no offense. I phrased my statement as a generalization but I was actually speaking about myself. When I was single and intent on staying single, long distance relationships were perfect for me. They offered me a very convenient excuse to keep my suitors at arms length, both physically and emotionally.

I could very easily compartmentalize the relationship because they weren't a part of my daily life. I didn't need to worry about or include them in my life in any significant way. They didn't meet my friends or family, they didn't see me when I was not at my best or when I couldn't give them my undivided attention.

Long distance relationships are attractive to lots of other people like me: those who don't really want or require a lot of closeness. That was the point I was making and I stand by that statement. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round. I wasn't directing my comments towards you personally or making a judgment about you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 02-20-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Long distance relationships seem to fall into two camps. In one camp we have people already in established relationships, and for whatever reason it becomes long distance. Then in the other camp we have people who seek long distance relationships from the beginning.

In one case, a couple will be nurturing an already established bond. In the other case, they'll be trying to build something from scratch. Either way, I think if the relationship is to thrive, the long-distance aspect needs to be for a limited time and with a plan in place to (re)unite.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post

I have a long distance relationship going on now, has been for 3 years and will be married this July 19, the biggest problem with it is the distance, we have to plan the trip 3 months in advance ( I am here about 3 months a year ), see my relationship is 8,600 miles and 22 to 27 hours one way away ( time depends on lay overs ).
in two years time from now ( because my son is almost 16 years old ) I will be moving there to stay with her, this is our plan, or try for a Visa for her to come here, maybe, she doesn't know yet.
My husband and I lived 5,635 miles apart when we met. We were married a year after we met, and will be celebrating our 9 year anniversary this coming May. If you need any help importing your fiancé when the time comes, DM me. Mazel Tov!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
I always consider the distance is not the problem of the relationships ,, because we have cellphone , email , MSN , facebook ...... we connect each other easily!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships