Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

My ex did not stick up for me when I was dealing with a very difficult situation. For several reasons, I felt he should have. Instead, I dealt with all the crap while he essentially abandoned me. Looking back, it is obvious what a wakeup call that should have been.

I'm not a very confrontational person (unless the right buttons are pushed), but I would stick up for my SO if necessary. I certainly wouldn't abandon him to deal with my friends or family alone! Of course, my mom says she doesn't want to know my future husband so if she sticks to that we're good. My dad is even less confrontational than me and hardly says a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
I wonder why in-laws in this part of the world confront the spouse?? Why do they find it so compelling??

Man, this sounds like India

Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
[quote=Avienne;16161992]Same here. He knows I can handle it myself. However, he does have a certain look that will pretty much shut someone up or get someone to back off. Basically, his presence is enough.

It's funny: Not long ago I was in Home Depot looking for batteries for my fancy new Maglite, and an older gentleman came over and tried to help me. This fellow was a customer, not an employee, and he was doing the paternalistic thing and talking to me like I'm an idiot--you know, because clearly a woman wouldn't know her way around a place like Home Depot.

My SO came over and just stood there. I thanked the gentleman for his "help," but he didn't really back off until my SO gave a tiny little sigh.

Quote:
P.S. Speaking of defending yourself, a Maglite can come in handy, too. Those are the long black flashlights cops use, in case you didn't know that, li'l woman.
That's because scientific tests including several physics equations have proven that human flesh coming in contact with anodized knurled aluminum has shown to cause severe bruising and tendency to break bones. Mass x Velocity = PAIN!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
My ex did not stick up for me when I was dealing with a very difficult situation. For several reasons, I felt he should have. Instead, I dealt with all the crap while he essentially abandoned me. Looking back, it is obvious what a wakeup call that should have been.

I'm not a very confrontational person (unless the right buttons are pushed), but I would stick up for my SO if necessary. I certainly wouldn't abandon him to deal with my friends or family alone! Of course, my mom says she doesn't want to know my future husband so if she sticks to that we're good. My dad is even less confrontational than me and hardly says a word.
There are times when "less is more" and times when nothing but "more will suffice". Your father is a smart man.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm with you, I just read his post and felt sadness.
Hang in there, Urban...

My father knows better, then to say a single. negative. word about my husband. He learned it the hard way over the years. Now, I just have to give him "the look" or "the sigh" and he knows when to stop.
Same here. If my parents start dissing my wife, the conversation is over.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Nahhh, my hubby knows I will beat the living crap out of anyone that gets in my way, before he can say a word or lift a finger. I am extremely volatile, known for cussing out strangers and physically attacking people 3x my weight. He probably is thinking about how he can keep his beytch on a leash. :P

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
My SO has only intervened when I have been physically threatened by a male.
He knows I can hold my own, I can cut anyone off at the ankles verbally.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
My wife would definitely come to my defense in a physical situation. She's definitely stronger than me physically and also doesn't have chronic pain to fight through. Luckily we've never been in such a situation but I could definitely see her beating the crap out of someone for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Does your SO stand up for you when someone cuts in front of you in line or does something else that is extremely rude. How about when someone insults you, cuts you off in when you are driving etc?
It's never happened to me, but knowing my dh, I am sure that he would stand up for me as I would for him.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
It's not really surprising how many comments there is about in-laws. My ex-husband never to used to support me when his Mother was was mixed up in our personal business. He even invited her to move in, without my knowledge. That's one of the reasons he is my ex.

My parents never involved themselves in any of our little spats in any way, shape or form. They were always very respectful of my spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships