Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys!
So I have a question for y'all.

My son was rifling through a desk I have had since 1998. It's in his playroom and currently holds boxes of his outgrown clothes. But being an infant, he likes to rifle through everything and pull crap out.

He found a computer disk from 1999-2002. Belongs to my ex (we broke up in 2005 - I have been married to my wife since 2008). It was a pretty bad break-up, as she believed 'it came out of nowhere' and I started dating my now wife shortly after. So I haven't had contact with my ex, because she thinks I am the devil.

I put it in my computer to see what it was, and I saw it was a disk from the year she spent abroad in Germany. It had letters, projects, literature stuff, lectures from her classes, etc. I didn't go through it all; just enough to see the file names.

Originally, I was just going to pitch it. But after I saw it had her trip stuff on it, I had second thoughts. I mean, I would want my disk with all the stuff I did on my cool year abroad. I asked my wife, and she said, "Please. I'd just throw it away. If she hasn't noticed it this long, why would she care now?"

I agree with that part, but I also know if someone found one of the diaries I always kept when I studied abroad, I would REALLY want it back.

To complicate things, I haven't talked to my ex since 2006...because, like I said, she hates my guts and I choose to respect her wanting to not have to think about us or our break-up. Our mutual friends said it was really, really hard for her. And frankly, life has gone on. I'm leery of initiating contact, even if it's just an envelope with the disk in it.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
I'd probably toss it...but that's just me.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
I'd feel the same as you and wouldn't be able to throw it out. If it was mine, I'd want it, even if I'd forgotten about it.

I'd mail it with a brief note just saying "found this in the bottom of a clothing box and thought you might like it back". It's not an invitation to communicate, but no matter how I felt about my ex, I couldn't just throw those things in the garbage, even if he didn't remember they existed.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Could one of your mutual friends be a diplomatic liaison? I would have a hard time destroying someone else's property, especially something potentially important. Perhaps a friend could approach her on your behalf?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Could one of your mutual friends be a diplomatic liaison? I would have a hard time destroying someone else's property, especially something potentially important. Perhaps a friend could approach her on your behalf?
You know, lol, I just thought of that. Except we live in different cities. I suppose I could have one of our mutual friends mail it, though then would that seem like I'm being weird and purposely going out of my way to not be part of the contact?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Sell it on EBay and let your ex wife know it is there.

Honestly I would send it back but that is me.

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'd mail it. No return address, a post-it note explaining what it is. I don't think it will send her into a downward spiral

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Ohhh, that's a tough one.

I will say, that is something I would really want back if it were me. You can't replace or duplicate those notes, memories, etc. You know her well enough to know if she would be thankful to have that kind of "history" back in her possession.

I once had my computer crash a few years ago (I know, not the same thing) but I lost a few files that I wish I could get back because they were really important to me. Learned that lesson the hard way. To this day it still irks me that I can't recover some of the files (and I still have the computer, just in case one day someone can figure it out!).

Anyhow, my point is she would probably LOVE to have the disc back, even if it dredges up a few unwelcome memories or feelings. I'd just put it in an envelope and have a mutual friend deliver it to her with a note that is to the point. You found it, thought it would be important to her and didn't want to toss it in the trash.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I would mail it or just hang onto it. If your ex wants it she will contact you to see if it's still around your home.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Wow...I am honestly surprised at how many people say I should mail it to her.
I really thought it would go the other way.

Btw, reps all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships