Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times

Advertisements

Ever encounter these personalities in a relationship or the workplace?

They either start the relationship out by immediately jumping on your mistakes and pointing out where you've crossed their lines, (you didn't do your job perfect the first time, you talk to them "too much", etc.) or they initially present a very friendly and sociable attitude to draw you in, only to start drawing lines later and using them as excuses to get madder and madder at you. `

When you try to talk to them about their line drawing (not initially knowing that's what it is), they just use your attempt to discuss it out rationally as an excuse to draw another line. Basically, they'll complain that you're crossing another line by even talking about it or thinking it's a problem between you.

I have a theory about these kinds of personalities I'd like to bounce off the city-data forumites. I don't claim it explains all of these personalities but here goes....

I think these types of personalities are insecure around people and want to assume the high ground first and so they start looking for and inventing problems with you in order to assume the high ground of superiorness before anyone else does over them. So they purposely make a big issue out of little behaviors others engage in, drawing lines you used to be able to cross but now can't, so they themselves always look superior.

So, in other words, they draw you in by encouraging the behavior, then, later, they start to complain about it to you and others so they will look superior. But, in fact, they are just trying to stir up trouble and make YOU look like the annoyance. But, in fact they have been targeting you and your genuineness the whole time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 10-09-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default 100%

familiar.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Ever encounter these personalities in a relationship or the workplace?

I think these types of personalities are insecure around people and want to assume the high ground first and so they start looking for and inventing problems with you in order to assume the high ground of superiorness before anyone else does over them. So they purposely make a big issue out of little behaviors others engage in, drawing lines you used to be able to cross but now can't, so they themselves always look superior.

So, in other words, they draw you in by encouraging the behavior, then, later, they start to complain about it to you and others so they will look superior. But, in fact, they are just trying to stir up trouble and make YOU look like the annoyance. But, in fact they have been targeting you and your genuineness the whole time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Ah, yes--'the manipulators'.

I've known a few. Nothing is ever enough for them--'Chip on the shoulder'--sniff--'I deserve to be recognized as 'Better' than others'.

You never win with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships