Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not and expert on the subject of are people born gay or chose it, I don't even play an expert on TV about it.

I fundamentally think that it is a genetic thing. Most gay people knew that they were gay since being a little kid. I just wish society would get over it. Many lives have been lost and or ruined because people try to hide it, or if they do come out they're harassed about it to the point that many commit suicide. There has been a few stories in the media about it lately.

Heck, I'm not gonna sit here and say how wonderful being gay is, it just is. I still kind of cringe a little when in movies or TV you see a couple of dudes kiss. I'm not gonna not hire them or treat them any different otherwise.
I think we are on the same page. Occasionally I happen to watch a rerun of 'Will and Grace'--when the series originally aired it was 'funny' and now that there has been so much discussion of gender issues it isn't quite as humorous.

I'm female and I'm not certain I understand 'why' but a couple of dudes kissing doesn't bother me --2 women kissing is more unsettling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:45 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I'm female and I'm not certain I understand 'why' but a couple of dudes kissing doesn't bother me --2 women kissing is more unsettling.
I'm straight, and I find Hugh Hefner and his bimbos a lot more unsettling than gay folk showing affection. Different strokes and all.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
There are no easy answers on this one, and probably alot of judging. It goes to cheating on a spouse, lying, deception, lack of respect, not using protection or getting tested.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Your statement is very wrong. We have just seen a few young people commit suicide over the merciless taunting about their sexuality. Americans may pay lip service to having no issue with homosexuality but the general consensus is very different. In large cities there may be widespread acceptance and a large community to support one another, but in most average places you will not find that.

While I don't agree with gay men living secret lives, I can certainly understand why they do it.
Kids getting bullied at school is a different and very sad thing. This is about grownups who can choose to join with a like-minded community or lie, cheat, deceive and ruin lives of others, including their own children. There are many minorities who have to deal with judgement and ignorance in society. Gay rights have come a long way in just a few years. There is a long way to go but I do see it as wrong to bring others into a lie for the sake of appearance.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm straight, and I find Hugh Hefner and his bimbos a lot more unsettling than gay folk showing affection. Different strokes and all.
I don't care for that style of relationship either--that's just me--I suppose I am 'traditional'/mainstream. I'm not really a fan of the Duggars and all the other alternative lifestyles, either.

Just a pretty boring person at heart. FWIW, my neighbors are gay and they are kind and helpful people. There are a number of same sex couples in my neighborhood. There are all kinds of people in my neighborhood--I like some more than others for reasons not related to gender issues.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Kids getting bullied at school is a different and very sad thing. This is about grownups who can choose to join with a like-minded community or lie, cheat, deceive and ruin lives of others, including their own children. There are many minorities who have to deal with judgement and ignorance in society. Gay rights have come a long way in just a few years. There is a long way to go but I do see it as wrong to bring others into a lie for the sake of appearance.
You are obviously out of touch with what is happening in America.

A quick google search came up with these;

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/ny...s.html?_r=1&hp

The Associated Press: 2 arrested in anti-gay beating at famed NY gay bar

Police Say Gays Are Target of Mainstrasse Attacks - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

Portland Police: Two More Attacks on Gays Reported This Week

While advances have been made in social awareness and acceptance, there is still a lot of bigotry and hatred toward homosexuals, especially males.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
IDK, it seems like the black community has more of an issues with gays. I don't mean to disparage black folks.
it does. Back when DC legalized gay marriage, Marion Barry (a black council member who represents a ward that is pretty much 100% black) voted against it because he thought that represented the interests of his constituents.

I don't really get it tbh, it's probably the one thing that the majority of blacks and the majority of right-wing whites can agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships