Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 AM

311 posts, read 693,835 times

Advertisements

Dead on wanderlust76.Men are taught what women want by their actions not by what they say.And what women have taught men over and over is that money is the most important qualifier in a man.If a man is happy with his used car and 10hr job he better get used to the single life.If women didn't care about money we would LOVE it.If women really wanted a simple life men wouldn't give a flying f*ck about money.Like Dave Chappell said "if a man could f*ck a woman in a cardboard box he'd never buy a house".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times
Quote:
Instead of addressing why some men may be obsessed with money or why they don't see it is a turn-off, the thread has dissolved into nitpicking the OP's handling of a situation used as an illustrative example, which in itself is not the thread topic. My "inordinate need" was an attempt to point out the actual topic. I'm not sure what your "inordinate need" was in that reply...
The reason why the handling of the situation was even discussed is because OP herself described how she handled it, in numerous ways and in the way that just made some of us not being able to stop from commenting.

And the reason "why" some men may be obsessed with money had been addressed plenty of times already. As long as there are women who value them by their finances and obsess over them spending money, there will be men who are obsessed with money. Not a rocket science.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,177 times
And as long as money is what a man is willing to bring to the table in a relationship, that is what he'll be valued for.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
And as long as money is what a man is willing to bring to the table in a relationship, that is what he'll be valued for.
If all he has to bring to the table is money than he will not be with anyone besides a woman who cares for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
If all he has to bring to the table is money than he will not be with anyone besides a woman who cares for it.
That makes sense but it doesn't explain the frustrated women I know who are married to successful workaholics and/or men who are emotionally closed. Some men feel that all they have to do is provide financial security and their job as a husband and father is done. I know of a lot of divorces due to issues of the woman feeling alone and neglected by their career-driven, successful husbands.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
That makes sense but it doesn't explain the frustrated women I know who are married to successful workaholics and/or men who are emotionally closed. Some men feel that all they have to do is provide financial security and their job as a husband and father is done. I know of a lot of divorces due to issues of the woman feeling alone and neglected.
Oh I agree with your view completely. I remember there was a thread about a husband workaholic and majority here said that they would hate living like this. I myself would never be able to be with an workaholic, at least not for years and years at a time.
Although I didn't have a loooong substantial dating career, I have come across some men who would not stop talking about making money and how much money they have and what they do to make the money and how they spend it...I couldn't even agree to go on a date with them. Boring as hell!!! Talk to me about books, literature, human psychology, stop talking to me about the cash. Basically what I'm saying is that I didn't catch myself even starting relationships with money-obsessed men.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I have dated a few men like that too. When my husband was first pursuing me, I was also dating another much wealthier man. The rich dude was blind-sided when I dropped him for my (now) husband. He demanded an explanation! Apparently, he mistakenly believed his wealth eliminated the competition. Wrong!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
[quote=city_data91;16266646]You make it sound like they don't care about the money and they just happen to make a lot of money doing something they love. So you're admitting they don't live a rich lifestyle nor do they want to. If they're not living a rich lifestyle, they're not enjoying their money.

Like I said, my only hope of ever owning a luxury car in the future would be to buy used. And right now, I have no hope of owning any car at all. I'm 19 and I've never had a job.

Try to see things from my perspective. They can afford something I can't afford but would love to have. And yet they choose not to. Your car says a lot about you so it's a shame when your car doesn't reflect your income. If someone has a lot of money but chooses to drive a car that a poor person would drive, how are they any different than the poor person? If anything, they're worse because they're choosing to live that way when they don't have to. The poor person has no choice, they can only afford so much.[quote]

I will give you the benefit of the doubt because of your age and lack of experience. Here's a tip: people who have money invest in appreciating assets, when was the last time you saw a brand-new mass produced luxury car going up in value? The answer is Never. Why? Because next year's model will replace the demand - hence demand declines for prior year models, leading to price depreciation. People with real money (income or assets) invest in appreciating assets - think oil wells, real estate, land, patents, publicly and privately held companies, education.

What would your car say about you if you had a sign attached to the car saying : ONLY 36 more CAR PAYMENTS AND THIS WILL BE MINE!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Are you talking about the same guy? The conversations back and forth seem to say so, but one hand you portray "a meager three dates" and on the other you're "practically living together" and going on trips. I don't understand why you would sleep over at a guy's house, especially in his bed, without wanting to sleep with him.
No I'm not, I'm talking about two separate guys and that should clarify things for you a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I've read your posts. You said it was about the gesture, not the tip itself. Did either one of you give in an extra dollar in the end? If I felt badly for something someone I was with did, I would go back and make it right with that person or those people. I would deal with my concern later when we're in private.
No, you apparently haven't read, all this has been previously clarified and I hate repeating myself so please do read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
So what the heck does a drink cost?[/b] Two dollars each would have made the tip 25%. So since his error was so grave, I'm assuming they were more like four dollars each? More?
A typical beer in Manhattan costs $6-7. That would put a $2 for 2 drinks at roughly between 14-17%. Certainly not a high percentage.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
There isn't anything singularly more annoying to me, truly.

I'm talking about men who focus on money constantly, always talking about how much money they spent, how they have to worry about saving this, that and the other, and what they think of others who have more than them.

My ex was like that, and it bothered me to the core. Everything was a money concern. He was always saying that he would like to do this or that, but he wanted to save money...or he'd constantly mention the most minute of deliberations and how they pertained to him saving money. He made a decent salary, but you wouldn't know that, because he'd obsess over money like he was going to be in the poorhouse tomorrow. I exploded at him one night because we went out for drinks, and I caught him tipping the bartender a single dollar for the two drinks he bought for us, I was horribly embarrassed and ashamed. When we got to his house, he said, "How could you complain? I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on you in the two months I've known you!" I couldn't believe he had the nerve to say that! Firstly, what does this have to do with his stinginess toward the bartender, and secondly and more importantly, it was sad and disgusting to me that he was keeping a scorecard, like I had no right to complain about his actions because he had spent enough on me not to ever question his decision making?! It still disturbs me to this day.

Another experience I had was a guy that I went on a meager three dates with. He was very wealthy and into investment banking and lived in the Flatiron district. He kept on asking me questions like, "Do you typically date wealthy men?", constantly making references to ex's that had used him for his money, tried to offer me cash as a "test", it was absurd! He also tried to pressure me into sleeping with him, and even though we slept in the same bed, I'm glad I didn't give in because I had a feeling about him.

Why can't some men see money obsession is a huge turn off?
People are broke for a reason and that is mismanagement of money.

People who make good money and manage it right are the ones that are successful.

Obsession is another story. You don't have to talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships