Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM

11,365 posts, read 24,324,834 times

Advertisements

Why should it just be women? I went out with a guy a couple of times who brought his daughter to have dinner with us...maybe on the second date.

I felt guilty because I liked the child more than the father. I didn't go out with him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:01 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,989,697 times
I would have turned it down and gone the other way. Mind you.. its not that I dont like kids or anything like that.. but heavens sake..

I am trying to get to know "you" better and you have your kid along for the date? Wouldnt make sense to me.. it pretty much sets the pace for the relationship.. would be a definite no to me.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,610,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Totally and utterly insane on so many levels! Oh, well, recently I read a poll asking whether kids should be brought to bars... Since you can't really do what an adult would do there anyway, why not...?! Bring the milk shakes and the kiddos and date away!
How do you know? Ever had kids?

It's up to the mom to do whatever she wants as long as she does not put the kid in harm's way. The guy she is dating knows she has a child and it's gonna play a big part in the relationship.

If the date is headed for ruin, it's the douche's fault. He should go pick some childless woman.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,290,527 times
Just a touch weird to say the least. Who would even want to have their kids along on a first date? I guess you couldn't touch upon anything inimate or deep.

My mom dated people for years and I never saw the people or even knew of their existence. So I come from that frame of reference.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:53 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,085,947 times
I had a girl friend that did that the first time i invited her to my home. She showed up with her teen age daughter and we visited for a couple hours and she left. I didn't call her for anymore dates for a couple weeks, and she called me. We eventually started dating again. I excused her lack of insight and caulked it up to the fact that she is blonde. Many guys would not have dated her again, I almost didn't. I put off kissing her goodnight until she was worried that I wasn't interested in her.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM

51,850 posts, read 52,259,765 times
The pinko commie ultra liberals are gonna bash me here.... I have this strange notion that people shouldn't bring the kids around until way way later.... I'm talking knowing that the person is most likely a keeper.

God forbid people actually try and think about the kids needs ahead of their own.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,332,248 times
If God forbid I was to end up single again, I would never bring my son on a date and quite honestly, I would be extremely cautious whom introduce my child to. I would have to get to know this man so well and be so sure in his feelings and intentions for me before he would ever meet my son.
Bringing a child on a date is the strangest notion ever.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM

37,426 posts, read 45,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
How would you feel about this? Let's say she asks you if it's okay to bring her child with her, what would you say? Assuming you like her a lot and you've already clicked very well in so many areas.

I'm not sure why my friend thinks this is totally fine. She even had this wide, satisfied grin all over her face when talking about it. She says her date is very excited and looking forward to meet the child. I personally think the guy just felt awkward to say no, so he decided to go along with it.

Of course at that point I really didn't know what to say to her, so I kept quiet.
My god. Your friend is incredibly foolish. I certainly hope that you discuss this with her and inform her of all the reasons why this is an absurd, naive and even potentially dangerous thing to do.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,301,275 times
Ehh......Not a good idea for a first date, but he does have to meet the kid if the relationship is going anywhere. Best to do it sooner than later.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,290,527 times
To the OP, though you may have your opinion, my instinct says to mind your own business unless you're 100% sure of what her reaction would be.

People react badly to criticism regarding the handling of their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships