Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,325,889 times

Advertisements

I didn't go though that phase. I married my first boyfriend. I never partied, drank or smoked. All I was focused on at that time in my life was work and university. I'm sure that may sound boring to most people and I do regret not having more fun. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
I think people have the tendency to exaggerate so they don't sound too boring.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

228 posts, read 499,490 times
I wouldn't call so much of a wild phase as I would a fun phase. I wasn't like those girls gone wild chicks, but I was no angel either. Maybe more like a fallen angel.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think people have the tendency to exaggerate so they don't sound too boring.
And conversely some don't share because they don't want to be judged.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,128,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I didn't go though that phase. I married my first boyfriend. I never partied, drank or smoked. All I was focused on at that time in my life was work and university. I'm sure that may sound boring to most people and I do regret not having more fun. Oh well.
That's very commendable. While I partied in moderation, I always made sure to keep everything in check because I didn't want to be labeled as some type of drunk floozy. I'm not a partier these days but I don't regret not having a wild phase because it's just not something I was ever interested in.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Depends on what you mean by "wild."

I didn't do much when I was a college student except study and work (mostly), and spend time with friends (occasionally). I didn't date, people didn't date at my college. There was a reasonable amount of hooking up, I'm sure, but that wasn't my thing, either.

When I was a working adult in my mid to late twenties, I did much more dating, and went out more. Don't really consider it "wild" to have ex boyfriends from when I was in my twenties, though, or to have been social and behaved in a responsible, legal manner. I was never wildly rebellious, because I never had anything to rebel against. I had a good relationship with my parents, who trusted me to be responsible, which I was, so they really didn't put a lot of rules or restrictions on me, and I learned, as a result, to moderate myself pretty well.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,325,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
That's very commendable. While I partied in moderation, I always made sure to keep everything in check because I didn't want to be labeled as some type of drunk floozy. I'm not a partier these days but I don't regret not having a wild phase because it's just not something I was ever interested in.

Thanks. I just never had an interest in partying. I'm incredibly shy. You wouldn't know this from the way I post on these forums.
I do regret not having had more fun though. I shouldn't have taken everything so seriously.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,128,977 times
Quote:
Thanks. I just never had an interest in partying. I'm incredibly shy. You wouldn't know this from the way I post on these forums.
I do regret not having had more fun though. I shouldn't have taken everything so seriously.
It's easy to have fun without necessarily being wild. I've always felt that even the busiest of people should take some time out to have fun.

You may not have had fun when you were younger, but at least you had your priorities straight and it has no doubt paid off for you now.

I can empathize with you on the shyness part. I open up easily when I'm around people I'm comfortable with, but initially I'm a very shy person as well. Maybe this is why I was never a wild partier- I always had trouble going up to people and introducing myself.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,356,616 times
Quote:

Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,159,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
It seems like every 20 something woman I meet has a past with a string of old boyfriends, partied and had fun in college, experimenting with different guys, etc. I was busy working and going to school during that time and didn't have much time for fun or to get crazy. I admit that kinda bothers me a little so maybe you ladies can set me straight. Are there women who don't really go through that phase or is this pretty much a rite of passage these days? Am I just looking in the wrong places or do I need to be more open minded?
It's called "hookup culture". It's not uncommon for women to take all the worst stereotypical behavior of men (sex, binge drinking, etc) and then emulate it under the feminist banner of "empowerment" or "girl power". The sub-24 year old generation is just horrible with this as I've yet to meet a really attractive women in that age range with less that ~30 partners. I know a lot of women in their mid to late 20s that still go out 4 or more nights a week and hook up with 3 or more guys a week just because they can. Granted these are your club chicks and glamor model wannabe types that get all tarted up on the weekends. Still, they're not the only ones doing this sort of stuff. Not by a long shot in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships