Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:52 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,394,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I think there is a difference between a compliment, and being vulgar. I don't think "You look nice" translates to "I want to sleep with you". Vulgar to me is getting touchy feely too quickly, making obvious sexual comments, things like "Damn you look hot" (I cannot speak for all women, but if I get that I feel uncomfortable), etc.

I don't think opening a door for someone or smiling means you want to have sex with them.... It's common manners and friendliness IMO.
that reminds me of a date I was on a few months ago. after we finished eating, he looked at me and goes "well..you look very kissable today"...blech. It was over then. Never spoke to him, nor saw him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 03:05 PM

51,958 posts, read 52,378,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
that reminds me of a date I was on a few months ago. after we finished eating, he looked at me and goes "well..you look very kissable today"...blech. It was over then. Never spoke to him, nor saw him again.

What he said was a little odd, but it wasn't over-the-top, IMHO I mean you were on a date right, it wasn't some guy at the next table. It wasn't like he wiped his mouth off and said something like this:

"I'd like to do things to you that I wouldn't do to farm animals."

Old 12-25-2011, 03:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,394,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

What he said was a little odd, but it wasn't over-the-top, IMHO I mean you were on a date right, it wasn't some guy at the next table. It wasn't like he wiped his mouth off and said something like this:

"I'd like to do things to you that I wouldn't do to farm animals."
well no it wasn't over the top, but I barely knew him at all. If we had known each other and had already established some kind of flirtatiousness, it wouldn't have been so creepy. but honestly, he might as well have said that he would like to do things to me that he wouldn't do to farm animals..he was that creepy. and I don't think most men are creepy, I'm not like that at all, he just was. He wasn't bad looking either, just really creepy.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:12 PM

51,958 posts, read 52,378,573 times
Quote:
well no it wasn't over the top, but I barely knew him at all. If we had known each other and had already established some kind of flirtatiousness, it wouldn't have been so creepy. but honestly, he might as well have said that he would like to do things to me that he wouldn't do to farm animals..he was that creepy. and I don't think most men are creepy, I'm not like that at all, he just was. He wasn't bad looking either, just really creepy.

LOL...

Well, Ok, that makes more sense.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,418,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Is it always

compliment = I want to have sex with you and/or I am attracted to you.

Can I give a man a compliment ever without giving him perhaps the wrong impression?

Also, I'm really bored today.
Depends on the delivery. And even then, sometimes when I think I did it right or in the right setting, I felt like I was talking to myself. I laughed on the inside and just said to myself, "You look good, too!"

[so sometimes, it just depends but don't be discouraged]

Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,950,675 times
Quote:
Nice shoes.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:49 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,830,424 times
Quote:
get that bad date out of your mind. don't talk about it. don't think about it. seriously for your own good.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,830,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groggo558 View Post
The problem with this scenario lies in our biology, our historic & highly entrenched customs, plus the fact that men haven't had to evolve very much in the past and this makes them often incapable of dealing with the changes that women have recently made.

To expect men, in a relatively short period of time, to understand, think like, appreciate or almost be like women, and for women to have the same lifestyle choices, understandings and behaviors as men, is highly unreasonable, to say the least.

Things do change, but only very, very slowly.
haha I agree.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,166,160 times
In my part of Wyoming, most people just don't dress up much. About a year ago I was in the grocery store and walked past a young lady standing by the Starbucks counter like she was waiting for someone. She was dressed in an attractive suit, as I recall, with matching dress shoes, nice hair... she just looked very nicely "done up" and stood out from the mass of people in jeans, sweatshirts and tennis shoes. I almost complimented her. I wanted to. But I was afraid she'd take it the wrong way. I kept my mouth shut. It's a shame that we're afraid to pay a compliment these days for fear of being considered creepy, but that's often the case.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,993,162 times
Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing that compliments are bad..weird.
Many things you hear on this forum are a first, and hopefully... the last!

I give men compliments and they all appreciate it. Many men in the workplace are afraid to give women compliments, though, which is, sadly, understandable... I have a fairly new coworker who said on a few occasions I looked "sharp." While it IS a compliment, you can smell the fear in it... I just told him a few days ago if he keeps saying that, I'd start feeling like a knife and he said he was gonna try to expand his selection of adjectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships