Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM

43 posts, read 111,703 times

Advertisements

If a woman in her early 20's has no source of income, no near future goals, isn't attending school, can't transport herself to and from your home because she does not have a car, which leaves the hour & a half drive (one way....) always up to you....

is it really necessary to even consider her girlfriend material? Or am I being WAY too critical/judgmental?

Background: My boyfriends roommate is constantly falling for that girl in one way or another, is always disappointed and comes to me to explain to him in simple terms why the relationship failed... If I can see it plain as day, why can't these seemingly normal 24 year old males see it!?

Last edited by Loolee; 10-25-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loolee View Post
If a women in her early 20's has no source of income, no near future goals, isn't attending school, can't transport herself to and from your home because she does not have a car, which leaves the hour & a half drive (one way....) always up to you....

is it really necessary to even consider her girlfriend material? Or am I being WAY too critical/judgmental?

Background: My boyfriends roommate is constantly falling for that girl in one way or another, is always disappointed and comes to me to explain to him in simple terms why the relationship failed... If I can see it plain as day, why can't these seemingly normal 24 year old males see it!?
Those who refuse to study history are destined to repeat it .

He's obviously making these kinds of choices for a reason. I would encourage him to ask himself some very tough questions as to "why" he finds these kinds of women attractive.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:34 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,583,463 times
Where is he meeting these same type of girls, over and over..etc?
We usually live and learn...
First time, shame on you
Second time, shame on me. Tell him to wake up!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:01 PM

6,536 posts, read 7,253,215 times
Quote:
If a woman in her early 20's has no source of income, no near future goals, isn't attending school, can't transport herself to and from your home because she does not have a car, which leaves the hour & a half drive (one way....) always up to you....

Guys can be totally fine hooking up with a girl with the characteristics you mentioned as long as she is attractive to his eyes, nice to hang out with, etc. Besides, it's quite normal to expect a guy to take care of a girl so I don't see how that would hold a girl from having a guy take her out and so on.

Have it the other way around and its tough luck for the guy. Sure, there may be exceptions but its just that, exceptions. As you might remember from past threads, women do prefer to be with a man who is in a "higher level" or settle with one who is on the "same level". But below that is just not THAT common.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,888,764 times
Loolee, I hear ya. I have a lot of male friends who choose women and I'm like, What the heck? Why are you even talking to her? Sometimes men have such small ego's and need to feel needed that they will mess with a "bobble head" so they can feel like the man. Some guys don't look under the hood of the car, they just take the car. I say some, not all men, are like this but I hear you on feeling confused as to how/why he would think this interaction would work. LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:

He's obviously getting some kind of emotional payoff from this kind of behavoir. Maybe he's afraid of committment so he doesn't go for girls who are available. Maybe he's not confident he can find someone who'd be good for him, etc. Heck, maybe he's gay and in denial about it and this is his way of going through the motions without having to admit it. There are a million other possible scenarios......but the bottom line is, he IS getting something out of this kind of irrational behavior.

Maybe you should ask him what he's getting out of it the next time he talks about it. If/when he responds with "Nothing!" then call him on it and say "Yes you are. Take 30 seconds to think about it and tell me again".

You might be surprised at the answer you get back.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,933,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Guys can be totally fine hooking up with a girl with the characteristics you mentioned as long as she is attractive to his eyes, nice to hang out with, etc. Besides, it's quite normal to expect a guy to take care of a girl so I don't see how that would hold a girl from having a guy take her out and so on.

Have it the other way around and its tough luck for the guy. Sure, there may be exceptions but its just that, exceptions. As you might remember from past threads, women do prefer to be with a man who is in a "higher level" or settle with one who is on the "same level". But below that is just not THAT common.
Yep, onihC has learned!

This kind of setting may appeal to the savior and controlling types mainly, though.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM

51,904 posts, read 52,278,409 times
I'm not marriage material.... I laugh too hard at my own politically incorrect jokes...... I like beer too much....and a plethora of other things....

Old 10-26-2010, 02:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,039,682 times
Quote:
If I can see it plain as day, why can't these seemingly normal 24 year old males see it!?
Maybe because he's only 24? Other than that, who knows. Maybe he needs a dad or mentor in his life to pull him to the side and explain a few things.

When I was young I was just as oblivious. I thought it was acceptable or understandable for a woman to have absolutely no ambition in life. I actually got a sort of good feeling from "taking care" of a woman. What was I thinking? It would take a long time to explain but it boils down to - I just didn't know any better.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,220,660 times
Quote:

His biggest mistake is thinking that women like that are even appreciative. The more a woman is not capable of supporting herself, the more entitled she feels to be given everything. They aren't grateful for it, so they are entitled, so he likely gets cheated on a lot, doesn't he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships