Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sex Overrated
Yes 37 44.05%
No 47 55.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,463,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I guess the million dollar question is this:

If sex is so "amazing" and "one of the best ways for people to bond," then why do so many one night stands, turn into nothing? Why do so many people in successful marriages, talk about everything else, but sex?
That's actually easy to answer, IMO. Relationships require a lot more than just good sex. Bonding is a process that occurs over time, and is not going to happen if there are too many negatives in the relationship. And many people in successful marriages don't talk about sex outside the relationship, just like many don't talk about their finances with strangers. Besides, what is a "successful" marriage, and how can you tell from outside if it is, unless the couple shares that information with you? By many standards and from what anyone could have seen from the outside, my first marriage was successful - it lasted over 25 years, we raised a wonderful son, we had good financial and social circumstances, but on the inside it was hollow, unhappy, and unfulfilling, and not just because of the lack of sex and affection.

Now I'm in a truly successful and happy marriage, and there is plenty of sex and affection and bonding - and it's ALL amazing. There is a great deal of compatibility in all areas of our lives, including sex.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,190,525 times
Maybe the "quest for sex" is overrated but actual sex ranks right up there above food for me. Going without food doesn't make me grouchy but going without sex???? I'm a bear. Everyone is different but I just happen to know what I like. As with anything, gotta divvy up your time with what works best for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,401,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
That's actually easy to answer, IMO. Relationships require a lot more than just good sex. Bonding is a process that occurs over time, and is not going to happen if there are too many negatives in the relationship. And many people in successful marriages don't talk about sex outside the relationship, just like many don't talk about their finances with strangers. Besides, what is a "successful" marriage, and how can you tell from outside if it is, unless the couple shares that information with you? By many standards and from what anyone could have seen from the outside, my first marriage was successful - it lasted over 25 years, we raised a wonderful son, we had good financial and social circumstances, but on the inside it was hollow, unhappy, and unfulfilling, and not just because of the lack of sex and affection.

Now I'm in a truly successful and happy marriage, and there is plenty of sex and affection and bonding - and it's ALL amazing. There is a great deal of compatibility in all areas of our lives, including sex.

I'll rep you for the response, as it was well thought out and worded. However, I just simply don't get it. It is going to be one of those things, I will just die, without understanding.

Other things I just don't get:
Facebook
Starbucks
Wine
Popularity of McDonalds and Budweiser
Voting Republican OR Democrat
Believing Kennedy wasn't killed by the CIA
NFL not being able to do any wrong...
etc etc

(Also, I think sex is simply being over romanticized. All the bad stuff is being left out: STDs, cheating, promiscuous sex, unwanted pregnancies.....)

Last edited by JSizzle225; 10-27-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 PM

67 posts, read 116,304 times
"Now I'm in a truly successful and happy marriage, and there is plenty of sex and affection and bonding - and it's ALL amazing. There is a great deal of compatibility in all areas of our lives, including sex."

Let me guess. The first few years into the first marriage were happy and filled with sex?

I suspect the second marriage is going to become like the first one, eventually.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,463,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMoon View Post
"Now I'm in a truly successful and happy marriage, and there is plenty of sex and affection and bonding - and it's ALL amazing. There is a great deal of compatibility in all areas of our lives, including sex."

Let me guess. The first few years into the first marriage were happy and filled with sex?

I suspect the second marriage is going to become like the first one, eventually.
LOL Oh, you are SO cynical! It's been over 10 years now, and we're still madly in love and sex is about as abundant now as at the beginning. Unless 10+ times a week is a dearth by your standards?

(FYI, the first marriage fell into sexual drought afer the "I do".)

Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM

67 posts, read 116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
LOL Oh, you are SO cynical! It's been over 10 years now, and we're still madly in love and sex is about as abundant now as at the beginning. Unless 10+ times a week is a dearth by your standards?

(FYI, the first marriage fell into sexual drought afer the "I do".)
That's the thing. It's too random. You either luck out and get a good wife/husband and life from now on keeps on getting better, or you end up like most people and get a bad deal. Glad it turned out fine for you.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
I'll rep you for the response, as it was well thought out and worded. However, I just simply don't get it. It is going to be one of those things, I will just die, without understanding.

Other things I just don't get:
Facebook
Starbucks
Wine
Popularity of McDonalds and Budweiser
Voting Republican OR Democrat
Believing Kennedy wasn't killed by the CIA
NFL not being able to do any wrong...
etc etc

(Also, I think sex is simply being over romanticized. All the bad stuff is being left out: STDs, cheating, promiscuous sex, unwanted pregnancies.....)
I think most people who practice sex these days (especially the younger generation) minimize risk to STDs and unwanted pregnancies. Cheating doesn't have to involve sex. Although than increased risk of STDs, there is nothing wrong with promiscuous sex as long as everyone involved is in agreement.

Your list of things that you don't get are all things which make you unique among the general public. There is nothing wrong with that.

Facebook - it's just a communication platform not too different than a forum, but allows you to target just people you know with discussions rather than the entire internet.
Starbucks - They make good drinks... I know more people who dislike the pricing rather than the actual product. I go to Starbucks once or twice a day, so definately a favorite of mine (I drink tea, not coffee).
Wine - It's an aquired taste like good chocolate.
Popularity of McDonalds - Cheap salads and great french fries.
Budweiser - Yea, this one is overrated
Voting Republican OR Democrat - This is another thread on it's own
Believing Kennedy wasn't killed by the CIA - It's just like believing in god. People just want something random to believe so stuff makes sense. Silly, yes.
NFL not being able to do any wrong... - If you accept that there is a social hierarchy (celebs > upper wealth > lower wealth > upper middle class > lower middle class > ...), it all makes sense.

I would like to add to your list... I think money is overrated. It's a renewable resource and still people make a bid deal out of it.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,401,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think most people who practice sex these days (especially the younger generation) minimize risk to STDs and unwanted pregnancies. Cheating doesn't have to involve sex. Although than increased risk of STDs, there is nothing wrong with promiscuous sex as long as everyone involved is in agreement.

Your list of things that you don't get are all things which make you unique among the general public. There is nothing wrong with that.

Facebook - it's just a communication platform not too different than a forum, but allows you to target just people you know with discussions rather than the entire internet.
Starbucks - They make good drinks... I know more people who dislike the pricing rather than the actual product. I go to Starbucks once or twice a day, so definately a favorite of mine (I drink tea, not coffee).
Believing Kennedy wasn't killed by the CIA - It's just like believing in god. People just want something random to believe so stuff makes sense. Silly, yes.
NFL not being able to do any wrong... - If you accept that there is a social hierarchy (celebs > upper wealth > lower wealth > upper middle class > lower middle class > ...), it all makes sense.

I would like to add to your list... I think money is overrated. It's a renewable resource and still people make a bid deal out of it.
Welcome to the ignore list, if you are going to be all liberal.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Quote:
Welcome to the ignore list, if you are going to be all liberal.
how the hell is that liberal?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,103,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

ick starbucks. Worst coffee. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.