Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,985,955 times

Advertisements

and it irritates the heck out of me . I have to deal with the snoring all night long in bed - I have difficulty getting to sleep and then I am awoken occasionally throughout the night. But before bed, he always, without fail, falls asleep on the sofa and snores ridiculously loudly. I suggest to him that he go to bed and he just gets mad at me. I have tried everything I can to get him to get checked out at a sleep clinic. He did go, but he has never gone back for the evaluation. He says he's too busy. I have brought up the "Snoring can kill you" issue, but it doesn't seem to phase him. We have spent periods of our marriage sleeping in separate rooms, but the noise goes right through the wall, and it has a negative affect on our marriage (as if the snoring doesn't .) He acts as if I am the one at fault because I don't like listening to it. And that he has every right to sleep in the living room if he so desires. Some nights, I just have to leave the room because I am so annoyed. I don't understand why he doesn't just go to bed.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,751,564 times
video tape it and play it for him.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
and it irritates the heck out of me . I have to deal with the snoring all night long in bed - I have difficulty getting to sleep and then I am awoken occasionally throughout the night. But before bed, he always, without fail, falls asleep on the sofa and snores ridiculously loudly. I suggest to him that he go to bed and he just gets mad at me. I have tried everything I can to get him to get checked out at a sleep clinic. He did go, but he has never gone back for the evaluation. He says he's too busy. I have brought up the "Snoring can kill you" issue, but it doesn't seem to phase him. We have spent periods of our marriage sleeping in separate rooms, but the noise goes right through the wall, and it has a negative affect on our marriage (as if the snoring doesn't .) He acts as if I am the one at fault because I don't like listening to it. And that he has every right to sleep in the living room if he so desires. Some nights, I just have to leave the room because I am so annoyed. I don't understand why he doesn't just go to bed.

Any suggestions?
Many men do that, if it's any consolation...

I don't have any suggestions, but that's a nice reminder for me of the joys of singledom. I know that's insensitive... Sorry.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Get a white noise maker, and put it in YOUR room, as far as possible from HIS room. That will take care of the noise while you are sleeping. If TV is what you are after in the living room, then get a small one for YOUR room. Whatever you need out of the living room, move it into YOUR room. If he doesn't like it, then tell him he can either address the problem, or stuff it.

That would be my very next step. No way would I listen to that crap.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post

Any suggestions?
Sleep apnea can be deadly.

He is in denial about his problem and making you suffer needlessly.

I call that extremely selfish.

It's completely up to you at this point as to what you are willing to live with.

You have two choices...

Either accept his boorish, foolish behavior, buy some ear plugs and let it go,

Or

Draw a line in the sand and take a stand (though I don't recommend this unless you are really willing to take things to the next level).

Good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
Plug his nose and cover his mouth while he's sleeping. If he wants to sleep, he should go to bed. What an inconsiderate jerk.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 PM

479 posts, read 836,261 times
oh, dear gawd... both my grandparents snored. They were both loud as hell.

They started out in seperate beds. Then seperate rooms. Then differing floors of the same house.

I always hated it when my parents went out of town and I'd get stuck. Staying awake until four am, hoping for sleep...

Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,611 times
We used to have the same war, I had to either leave the room or wake him up, I usually woke him up. We slept in different rooms off and on, I ended up buying a king size bed, that helped. He has gotten alittle quiter over the years, he has apnea but won't wear the mask because he said it feels like he is being smothered with it on. There isn't much you can do.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
oh, dear gawd... both my grandparents snored. They were both loud as hell.

They started out in seperate beds. Then seperate rooms. Then differing floors of the same house.

I always hated it when my parents went out of town and I'd get stuck. Staying awake until four am, hoping for sleep...
Mine did too, my brother is really bad, he stays over on Fridays and you can hear him through the hole house.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,343,986 times
Sorry about the snoring issue. If I was with someone who snored so loud that even earplugs and a fan wouldn't drown it out then separate bedrooms it would be. I've only had two ex-boyfriends this was an issue with and both slept on the couch a few times because I had something important to do the next day and needed my sleep. I've found that heavy snorers tend to live in denial and blame the non-snorer and act like they're the one with the problem for being unable to sleep while a freight train is making noises six inches from their ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships