Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 AM

113 posts, read 193,230 times

Advertisements

I am a little suspicious of the so called wonderful 50's when everything seemed to be so pure and the world was full of poodle skirts and sock hops.

I know someone that comes from a family of 9 and I know for a fact that 8 of those 9 had children out of wedlock. Everybody is in a cover up to make themselvers look pure when it is quite obvious that that is not the case.

I have suspected that different fathers are involved but denial will surely go to the grave.

Do you not think that people should own up and tell the truth? I was once told by someone that back in the 30's and 40's when children were born at home, it was written in the bible and who would lie about something written in the bible. Well, I believe that plenty of people would.

Will people will go to their grave and not admit they may have lied about who the fathers of their children are?

I think that with DNA nowadays, a lot of this will be cleared up but that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there that truly want to know who their real dad's are and not who the mother married.

Do you agree or should we leave well enough alone? Do you believe that everybody has the right to the truth regarding natural paternity and not legal paternity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Ranks in the top 10 as silliest post of the year.

Why on earth would this matter to anyone?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
^^^^Yeah that!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
I am a little suspicious of the so called wonderful 50's when everything seemed to be so pure and the world was full of poodle skirts and sock hops.
Don't feel bad - it's a proven fact that everyone is suspicious of everything that happened 60 years before they lived. The 50's were a time of horrible, horrible evil in the world...we opened the doors to alien invaders, began making chemicals out of other chemicals, discovered algebra - just a truly NASTY time!

Quote:
I know someone that comes from a family of 9 and I know for a fact that 8 of those 9 had children out of wedlock. Everybody is in a cover up to make themselvers look pure when it is quite obvious that that is not the case.
I've heard about this cover-up before - I think it's called the "Grassy Roll" theory.

Quote:
I have suspected that different fathers are involved but denial will surely go to the grave.
We could always get a court order and dig those suckers back up for DNA testing!

Quote:
Do you not think that people should own up and tell the truth?
Heck no! Do you KNOW what this world would be like is everyone did that?!? It would be the 50's all over again!

Quote:
I was once told by someone that back in the 30's and 40's when children were born at home, it was written in the bible and who would lie about something written in the bible. Well, I believe that plenty of people would.
So when kids were born in the 30's and 40's, their births were recorded in the Bible? No WONDER that thing is so long!

I agree that plenty of people would lie about something written in the Bible - as well as the ones that wrote it.

Quote:
Will people will go to their grave and not admit they may have lied about who the fathers of their children are?
So now the women are going to their graves, too? Seems like everyone is going to their graves! Must be remnants of that darned epidemic from the 50's...

Quote:
I think that with DNA nowadays, a lot of this will be cleared up but that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there that truly want to know who their real dad's are and not who the mother married.
Again, I agree. But now there's twice as much digging we have to do.

Quote:
Do you agree or should we leave well enough alone? Do you believe that everybody has the right to the truth regarding natural paternity and not legal paternity?
So basically you're wondering whether we should be exposed to a horrible lie or a wonderful truth? The funny thing with that is sometimes a horrible lie can itself become a wonderful truth and a wonderful truth a horrible lie.

If you hurt a loved one with the truth, does the truth serve them in any beneficial capacity? Some would say "at least they know the truth"...so what? It doesn't alter their reality, except to make it darker for the rest of their days.

Sometimes it's better to remain happily ignorant than sadly aware.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Grandma always said that the first baby can come any time, and is usually premature....wink..wink...but the second baby always takes 9 months....

As for who is the Daddy? Does it really matter? If a man thinks he is the Daddy, and wants to be the Daddy...then he is the Baby Daddy...

Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Having children out of wedlock simply means the parents weren't married when the kids were born. Some might argue that whether the kid was conceived out of wedlock is important ... okay, if they say so. Shotgun weddings weren't uncommon. I have a few in my family, or at least some 8-lb healthy babies who were born a couple months early. Nobody really ever gave that much of a damn, as long as the kid had a mom and a dad.

But you make it sound like these 8 women you know all had children by other men, suckered some guys to marry them, and kept it a secret. That's another thing entirely. Not really sure what you're arguing.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ranks in the top 10 as silliest post of the year.

Why on earth would this matter to anyone?
After reading the OP I feel so guilty that I must fess up. Chessie, I am your Daddy! And it's your lucky day! Cuz I'm filthy rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Why stop at the 50's--reel back the clock a couple thousands years to when the ultimate fairy tale was written in 66 separate chapters by several authors of questionable sanity. It was since that time that we have subjected ourselves to wars, witch huntings, beheadings, genocide, and living in fear of a mystical entity way up in the sky all in the name of the Bible. Here we are in the 21st century and still no better off. The 50's were no better or worse than any other decade before or after.

Some people may benefit from the truth, particularly someone with a family history of certain illnesses. Aside from that, there's really no need to insist that someone know all the messy details about what went down at their moment of conception. I know there's plenty of skeletons in my family history, I don't think my life would be any better or worse today for knowing all the details. If you're going to live in the past, you'll never embrace the present or look forward to the future.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:

Do you not think that people should own up and tell the truth? I was once told by someone that back in the 30's and 40's when children were born at home, it was written in the bible and who would lie about something written in the bible. Well, I believe that plenty of people would.

Why? To give someone a good topic of discussion? I don't see where it matters unless it's for the sake of a close gravely ill relative who needs the information for medical reasons.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Lol Capt Dan!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships