Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 AM

76 posts, read 108,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I guess we're not disagreeing after all. I must have misunderstood. To you, I also say good luck with the 25-year-olds.
she really means it too jonathan, no sarcasm whatsoever. this is all part of the shaming i mentioned a few pages ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I guess we're not disagreeing after all. I must have misunderstood. To you, I also say good luck with the 25-year-olds.
haha, look I'm not going to get into my personal situation, but put it this way, I don't need any luck Or should I say, I already got my luck, and I'm 27 now, so the 25-year-olds won't be a problem for me anyway for quite a while.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
haha, look I'm not going to get into my personal situation, but put it this way, I don't need any luck Or should I say, I already got my luck, and I'm 27 now, so the 25-year-olds won't be a problem for me anyway for quite a while.
I know, you seem very driven and ambitious. You realize what you need to do to achieve your goals, so that's good.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
You have to be driven and dedicated to have any chance, but you do need some luck along the way, or at least some good breaks.

I think a lot of people don't realize what others sacrifice to get where they are, I mean I know that a lot of people think of people making a lot more money and somehow they just got lucky and got into that situation. But really, I mean you have to sacrifice a lot of your time, and your youth, to bust your butt to get where you want to be, knowing it may not work out at all, but believing you have a great shot at it. It's like playing chicken, haha, you don't know who is going to veer first but you try not to flinch and hope you come out the winner

I laugh when people talk about "settling down," though. I AM settled down. I rarely go out on a Friday night or a Saturday night, I relax or work, one of the two, and I devote myself to my career with everything I have. I intend to UNsettle myself later, so I guess compared to some people it's like living life in reverse. The harder I work now, the less hard I have to work later, if I don't feel like it anyway. I personally love working hard at something I enjoy, so it doesn't bother me at all!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 181 View Post
While it's pretty obvious to everyone but you, ill sum up the last few pages to see if we can agree.

ME: young women should understand that it is an efficient market for them, IOW use it to snag a better guy then she can get in 8-10 years, and give him a few years of them as a hot young chick. everyone wins.
Well, the average age for marriage is ~26-27 yrs old IIRC. I'd say those husbands are indeed enjoying their young wives and likewise, those wives are enjoying their young husbands. With that fact, I'm not sure what your problem is here. Or, you have a problem with the 35 yr old single female demographic? It's hard to tell because you guys don't specify, it's just 'women'.

Quote:
YOU: women should have their cake and eat it too. lets wait till we can't get free **** anymore, then brag about our careers on dates when were 35 even though we dont own houses and are still paying student loans. half of us have kids from previous relationships, so guys are just gonna have to deal with it. i dont understand why all the guys i (really) want are already taken or dating women 5+ years younger or just want sex, whats wrong with them?
I haven't said any such thing. I specifically told you that you choosing to buy people's affection, via dinner, vacations, etc, is your business. I don't happen to employ that philosophy, never have. Frankly, I don't know why people do things like buy dinner, pay for movies, if they don't want to do it. Second, I also have not addressed 35 yr single women with children, but 35 yr old married women with or without children, who should make no difference to you, as far as your angst goes, since they're not in the available dating pool. Third, I don't think men or women are in such dire straights over all as shown here on the net. This space is constructed of hyperbole. Again, most men and women I happen to know aren't weepy over their romantic lives, but enjoying life.

Also, I never considered 5 years to be much of an age difference, especially in the thirties and 40s.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
For a middle aged 40 something woman. You sure do talk about George alot. I think that goal of getting someone like him is alittle out of your reach wouldn't you say?
I really don't understand the obsession with George Clooney, tho, I have missed all his movies. He must be generating serious vibes to have so many men turning to him.

Quote:
Really, I got a chuckle reading you and Bryan go at it. Then you go to bed and JustJulia fills in. Just like women. One stops and the other tag teams her girlfriend to finish. LOL.

Just messing. I still laugh. Who care about what I think anymore.
Well, I doubt any of us really care what the other thinks, tho, I do care what Julia thinks.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
I'm not interested in college age girls, I prefer more mature female company. Think 25-30.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM

76 posts, read 108,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, the average age for marriage is ~26-27 yrs old IIRC. I'd say those husbands are indeed enjoying their young wives and likewise, those wives are enjoying their young husbands. With that fact, I'm not sure what your problem is here. Or, you have a problem with the 35 yr old single female demographic? It's hard to tell because you guys don't specify, it's just 'women'.

I haven't said any such thing. I specifically told you that you choosing to buy people's affection, via dinner, vacations, etc, is your business. I don't happen to employ that philosophy, never have. Frankly, I don't know why people do things like buy dinner, pay for movies, if they don't want to do it. Second, I also have not addressed 35 yr single women with children, but 35 yr old married women with or without children, who should make no difference to you, as far as your angst goes, since they're not in the available dating pool. Third, I don't think men or women are in such dire straights over all as shown here on the net. This space is constructed of hyperbole. Again, most men and women I happen to know aren't weepy over their romantic lives, but enjoying life.

Also, I never considered 5 years to be much of an age difference, especially in the thirties and 40s.
that is an average though, for every 18 year old getting married there is a 34 year old doing the same. people are getting married later than ever before or not at all but i don't know any single women (or divorced, w/e) in their late 30s that doesn't want to get married. many of them would have had no problem if they "cashed in their chips" sooner. many women my age (26) believe in the SATC fairy tale, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 181 View Post
that is an average though, for every 18 year old getting married there is a 34 year old doing the same. people are getting married later than ever before or not at all but i don't know any single women (or divorced, w/e) in their late 30s that doesn't want to get married.
Yes, people are getting married later, and that's where the 26-27 yr old stat comes into play. Those marriages tend to have lower risk for divorce compared to their younger counter parts, especially with the way the economy has been and is going.

Quote:
many of them would have had no problem if they "cashed in their chips" sooner. many women my age (26) believe in the SATC fairy tale, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Well, I think it's highly individualistic. So many things come into play and we all handle life differently depending on our priorities, direction, culture, etc, which I believe is largely responsible for most of the disagreements on this forum. We're all coming from vastly difference spaces.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You have to be driven and dedicated to have any chance, but you do need some luck along the way, or at least some good breaks.

I think a lot of people don't realize what others sacrifice to get where they are, I mean I know that a lot of people think of people making a lot more money and somehow they just got lucky and got into that situation. But really, I mean you have to sacrifice a lot of your time, and your youth, to bust your butt to get where you want to be, knowing it may not work out at all, but believing you have a great shot at it.
I can relate on that end since I've heard the 'you lucked out' routine before. It's pretty dismissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships