Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,809,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When they start answering you with "Sir", you're too old.

Men in their 40's can date down to 28, men in their 50's can go date down to about 32. I think I read that somewhere or just made it up.
I think you just made it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,268,604 times
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read this neat mathematical approach to it.

Take your age and cut it in half, then add 7, and that would be your lowest acceptable dating age.

Example one: A 22 year old. 22 / 2 = 11. 11 + 7 = 18.

Thus the lowest age dateable for a 22 year old is 18.

A 54 year old however: 54 / 2 = 27 + 7 = 34. So a bigger age gap, but still appropriate.

It's eerie how "right" this math thing seems.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,568,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read this neat mathematical approach to it.

Take your age and cut it in half, then add 7, and that would be your lowest acceptable dating age.

Example one: A 22 year old. 22 / 2 = 11. 11 + 7 = 18.

Thus the lowest age dateable for a 22 year old is 18.

A 54 year old however: 54 / 2 = 27 + 7 = 34. So a bigger age gap, but still appropriate.

It's eerie how "right" this math thing seems.
So when I'm 100, I'll be cruising around with my hot 57 year-old? *shudder*

Actually, it does seem to be a good rough rule-of-thumb...if you need that sort of thing. Better I would think to just go on instinct.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
27 too old for a 23 year old? You've got to be kidding me.

As long as they're at least 18, you're never too old.
Exactly! NEVER is the answer. If you can still get college girls when you're 75, more power to you.

The last three girls I went out with were 20, 20, and 18. I'm almost 28, that isn't too young at all. If I was 40, 18 may be a bit young just maturity-wise, but doesn't mean I wouldn't go out with a hot 18-year-old if I wanted to and she was up for it

There are problems with girls of any age, in general, as a stereotype. If you date girls who are 20, some are perfectly mature and know what they want, but most are not and sometimes it's frustrating dealing with undeveloped creatures like that. At the same time, though, I'd prefer that situation to most girls my age, because girls who are late 20s are often desperately looking for "the one" because all of their friends (like all of the girls I went to high school with lately!) are getting married, engaged, pumping out kids, etc. It's pretty disgusting, so you have to be careful when dating girls who are older than about 25 because then they start getting all serious on you and that just saps the fun out of the whole thing.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,392,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
There are problems with girls of any age, in general, as a stereotype. If you date girls who are 20, some are perfectly mature and know what they want, but most are not and sometimes it's frustrating dealing with undeveloped creatures like that. At the same time, though, I'd prefer that situation to most girls my age, because girls who are late 20s are often desperately looking for "the one" because all of their friends (like all of the girls I went to high school with lately!) are getting married, engaged, pumping out kids, etc. It's pretty disgusting, so you have to be careful when dating girls who are older than about 25 because then they start getting all serious on you and that just saps the fun out of the whole thing.
Thank you, Jonathan! You just explained perfectly why I like girls who are old enough to be interested in a serious relationship, but young enough not to be desperate for one.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
Having broken up a girl a few months ago, I started hitting the online dating websites.

Just turned 31. Over 90% of the emails I get from women on the dating site are around 23 years old.

I believe the perfect age for a guy is around 30-35 because you can date the young and old.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,583,826 times
Haha agreed with you TexasNick.

I think if it's the right type of girl, it shouldn't matter as much what her age is as long as she's attractive, but as I said "as a stereotype." That's why they exist. It's very fair to say -- very accurate -- that most unmarried women in their late 20s are looking for something serious. It doesn't mean that 95% are, maybe it's only 70%, who knows, but it's certainly a plurality. Oh I should go back, "serious" not my word, I don't believe anything about a relationship is "serious." War is serious. Famine is serious. Being $5 million over budget on a $5 million production is serious. A relationship should be fun, enjoyable, enriching, and not serious. What I mean is girls who are going to pressure you after only dating six months with stupid, silly questions like, "Where is this going?!" Trains go somewhere. Planes go somewhere. Relationships don't "go" anywhere, they are either enjoyable or they're not and they end. So I don't even really get the question. And in general young 20s are not looking for marriage and kids right now, even if 20% are, the other 80% aren't, so you're in good shape.

Ideally, though, you meet a girl with some actual ambition and goals, and they are almost always safe dates in their 20s. The two girls I know with the most active career, a model and an actress, are both way too busy and excited by life to get roped down to one guy. They have boyfriends, but they aren't looking for marriage, and I don't think either wants kids. So that is the ideal type of girl if you can find her, because she inspires you to work hard in your career, gives you space because she's plenty busy on her own, and never pressures you to stupid decisions or conversations. In fact one of those girls has dumped three guys (before her long-term boyfriend) for asking to marry her. So there are some great girls out there who don't fit into stereotypes, but in general it just seems a safer bet to go for the young 20s and not risk it.

I'd totally date a 35-year-old girl who was hot and divorced, not looking for anything serious, though, that'd be awesome too. I wouldn't mind.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,309,993 times
One hot 44 year old babe holding me is cool or divide 44 by two and two 22 year old babes holding on to me is cool also

Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,155,605 times
From Relationships/How Women Select Men - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

When Hugh Hefner first asked Barbi Benton out, she said, "Well, I've, uh, never dated anyone over 23 before." Hef responded without hesitation, "That's okay. Neither have I."

To the OP, it's all in your head. I'm 34 and went out with a 23 year old last night. A few years ago my friend's dad at 52 dated a 23 year old for a while--my friend was 21 at the time.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:52 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,155,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
In all seriousness, why would any sex, of any age, want to date a college person, besides another college student?

College is the home of liberalism. I just can't see somebody in the real world, having anything in common with a college student.
You can always date someone from Bob Jones University and talk about the good ol' days of segregation, but no touching/kissing/dancing/playing cards/showing of skin/listening to rock and roll and have her back by 9PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships