Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,824,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Wow, the stereotypes are flying thick and fast...

Yes, truly. In my socioeconomic bracket, all the divorced men I know did remarry. Some were even over 55 and retired or semi-retired and working as as contract employees. They all chose professional women, who have careers, who are active in the workplace, with no or a very limited number of children, and they have launched their kids, and settled down to make beautiful money for retirement together. Just because your marriage was miserable and flat broke, don't think they all are. Of course, I can't even find a college-educated single man in this lower socioeconomic dump of a region, and the rest of it is small town family chit all the time. All the women here who met a spouse, met through e-Harmony and the man lived in Pittsburgh or Columbus, at the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 01:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Well, read enough of the posts to make me thoroughly depressed.

Truth is, men will have women lining up for them in later years. Not the opposite. Women outnumber men and the competition for the remaining men is brutal. So...to all you men out there - you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

A guy could have been a cheat, louse, and player his entire life - and still end up with a very good woman. Karma doesn't always happen.

I do know of a true life story. This woman left her husband at age 40. She took ten years to try to find someone better. Fate brought the two together ten years later and he took her back. Wow. Without him she'd be homeless. Some people luck out.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,824,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

A guy could have been a cheat, louse, and player his entire life - and still end up with a very good woman. Karma doesn't always happen.

Possibly, but not probable. The odds are still against him. Women are all smart enough to know that a piece of trash loser never changes. He might get another wife, but the quality women will still be out of his league. Always. Decent doesn't bed down with trash, even if it's the only game in town.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Possibly, but not probable. The odds are still against him. Women are all smart enough to know that a piece of trash loser never changes. He might get another wife, but the quality women will still be out of his league. Always. Decent doesn't bed down with trash, even if it's the only game in town.
Would nice to be able to agree here, but desperate does.

I read about all the cougars in this town and just shake my head. There are plenty of women who will do whatever to not be alone.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,159,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Wrong and wrong. Possibly AND probably because the odds are in fact in men's favor as the ages go upwards. As for the bit about women being smart and whatnot that's wishful thinking, not to mention an assumption that they'll even know about the man's past.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM

783 posts, read 2,253,404 times
The odds are in men's favor only if they are willing to accept an older partner. Otherwise, say a man of 55 has to compete with men of 30 for twenty-somethign age women... think that's a sure thing?

Men can get away with things. You can be old, or you can be poor, or you can be fat, or you can be bald.

But you can't be fat, bald, old and poor.

Thank god I still got my hair.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,678,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Would nice to be able to agree here, but desperate does.

I read about all the cougars in this town and just shake my head. There are plenty of women who will do whatever to not be alone.
I mostly see older males eager to remarry. I personally know of two men who lost their wives to cancer and in both cases they were remarried within a year or two. In their golden years, men want to have a woman in their lives.

Older women? Not so much. The only desperate women I ever see are of child bearing age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships