Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,004 times

Advertisements

Got to say getting a job or atleast doing something other than staying out home is probbaly the first step to not being single. I'm in the same boat: shy, socially inept, but one day I said to my self... **** I'm tired of this. I need to make somethign better of myself and put myself out there. So right now, I'm looking for a job. I got an employer reading me for an interview as I speak, and I'm happier than I ever was in a while. So yea, try that... or try volunteering at least. Obiviously, you don't need to do exactly what I say, but you get the point I hope :V. Start small and advance from there if you want.

Also, I'm 23 and have had only one maybe-relationship that ended before it started. So in a sense, I've been single and never been kissed my whole life as well so far. Yet, it's something I'm not sweating over right now. They say good things come to those that wait, and I'm hoping that's the case for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Honey, there is no knight in shining armor, no magic pill or potion - YOU must save yourself.

The good news is, YES, you really can.

But you have to stop sitting there crying in your room all day and actually force yourself to take some action.

You may be shy and feel socially awkward, but that can be overcome with the right attitude and a willingness to try some new things.

There is just absolutely no reason for someone as pretty as you to ever be alone.

But you have to do something to change all that. Now, get busy doing it!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Your looks certainly aren't holding you back. You're a pretty girl. Guys can't find you if you never leave the house.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 AM

330 posts, read 599,186 times
First, you are a good looking girl so that helps! In the meantime try to find a job, BUT there are manythings you can do that are free or almost free. Join "meet-up.com" and find interesting things to do in your area (most are free), take poetry reading, or writing clubs (shy people might go there) or photography clubs, also join a toastmasters, for public speaking skills, that may cure your of your shyness. Lots of bars have "ladies" night where drinks are free! Also DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PAST, concentrate on your future. Your a hottie and will have a great future. Get involved in volunteer positions in your community too, you will meet a lot of people that way.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Hmmm....maybe it's me? But the way I see this thread is much like a nice and juicy bait, so I can only tell myself, "if I were a fish, I would swallow the bait, hook, and sinker, too."

Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
i am shy and socially inept. i dont have any friends. i dont know how to socialize with people my age.

Hi, my name is Jordan and I am also a bit shy and socially inept. I also don't know how to socialize with people my own age.

you have a friend now

Seriously, is there any way that you could find a "cheap" hobby? Maybe join a group that goes hiking in the woods/mountains/whatever near you? Or maybe try speed-dating?

Somethin's gotta work.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
24 and have been single all my life. i haven't even been kissed.

people younger than me are relationships.

people older than me are in relationships.

WHY. NOT. ME?!

i have been crying all day because of how lonely i feel.

what is wrong with me?

this is me btw:

That was the best way to start a thread that I have seen in a LOOONG time.
You are a very pretty girl.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM

206 posts, read 768,308 times
i think my problem is that as much as i so desperately WANT to go out and socialize, i don't have a base with which to start. i have NO friends who i can call up and be like "hey let's go bar hopping in down town d.c tonight". the acquaintances i do have are too boring and can only think of movie and dinner type get togethers where while i do get to hang out with them, i don't meet new people!

also, like i mentioned, i have NO money. i can barely even buy new clothes. efforts at socializing requires spending. buying cute outfits, make up and shoes + paying for the cover charges of clubs and lounges, paying for movies, theater, food, drink, cab ride/metro, gas. paying for book club fees, for classes etc etc. i am severely debilitated by my lack of finances. all i want to do is lay in bed and cry myself to sleep.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times
You are off base shug.

You don't need money to start socializing.

Walk out your door, go somewhere with people and bam with your looks it shouldn't be that hard. Just be responsive!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
i think my problem is that as much as i so desperately WANT to go out and socialize, i don't have a base with which to start. i have NO friends who i can call up and be like "hey let's go bar hopping in down town d.c tonight". the acquaintances i do have are too boring and can only think of movie and dinner type get togethers where while i do get to hang out with them, i don't meet new people!

also, like i mentioned, i have NO money. i can barely even buy new clothes. efforts at socializing requires spending. buying cute outfits, make up and shoes + paying for the cover charges of clubs and lounges, paying for movies, theater, food, drink, cab ride/metro, gas. paying for book club fees, for classes etc etc. i am severely debilitated by my lack of finances. all i want to do is lay in bed and cry myself to sleep.
Plenty of decent advice in this thread. Its worth it b/c if you do put in more effort to meet Mr right, its an amazing and unqiue situation having that bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships