Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,038 times

Advertisements

I want to believe and support him through his recovery. I still have my doubts that he even went to rehab. I don't see him that often. The odd thing he still asks for money when I see him saying it for something like for his kids or whatever.

I don't know this guy that well anymore. We used to be pretty tight seeing each other often. I knew he had a drug problem then. The thing is he was there for me at one of my low points in my life. I'm better now. So, now I feel like I have to be there for him.

We do have a few mutual friends but don't know them well enough to talk to them about it. I don't want it to get back to him thinking I had doubts about him going to rehab .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I want to believe and support him through his recovery. I still have my doubts that he even went to rehab. I don't see him that often. The odd thing he still asks for money when I see him saying it for something like for his kids or whatever.

I don't know this guy that well anymore. We used to be pretty tight seeing each other often. I knew he had a drug problem then. The thing is he was there for me at one of my low points in my life. I'm better now. So, now I feel like I have to be there for him.

We do have a few mutual friends but don't know them well enough to talk to them about it. I don't want it to get back to him thinking I had doubts about him going to rehab .
The oldest line in the user's book. If you want to believe him and support him then go right ahead but, at the same time, buy yourself a T-shirt with "SUCKER" on it.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Rhetorical question: why is he asking for money? Better yet, why do you give him money? You must or he wouldn't be asking. I'd put the kibosh on that first thing.

Second, if he went through rehab, he should be going through follow up, a 12 step program or something along those lines. Families/loved ones/spouses often go too to learn to understand and better cope with their s/o's addiction. Tell him you'd like to start going with him. His response should be revealing.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The oldest line in the user's book. If you want to believe him and support him then go right ahead but, at the same time, buy yourself a T-shirt with "SUCKER" on it.
This is absolutely on the money, been there, done that, had the T-shirt, burned it.

He will call you WHEN HE NEEDS SOMETHING. Alkies and druggies excel at one thing better than any other social group--lying. If you are dealing with someone with a drug-use issue, your best strategy is to first assume that they are lying unless you see solid evidence that they are NOT, not the other way around.

As for being there when you were at a low point--that's great. But are you now obligated to take care of him and his problems forever because of this? Hint: The answer is NO.

Do not try to be understanding of addicts. They can smell that a mile away and will drain every ounce of you that they can, emotionally and financially. Do NOT think that "this one is different" from the others, or "at heart a nice guy". That's how they work it.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Quote:

Is this a bf? And doesn't he have a job? That should clue you into what he is using his money for.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

Re the bolded: Why not? If he is truly in a program, he would understand perfectly that you'd have doubts.

The best people to talk to about this, however, aren't necessarily those of us who've been through being lied to and used by an addict. The best person who can tell you what is going on is an actual recovered addict.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:52 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Is this a bf? And doesn't he have a job? That should clue you into what he is using his money for.
close friend, at least used to be...he does odd jobs, has told me he was going to move out of state. hasn't happened yet

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Addicts in recovery know that they have some splainin to do, that their loved ones will have doubts. Ask him straight up! If it angers him, he most likely didn't go. And stop giving him money!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
You will know when his life is all put back together, He'll have his own money ,some kind of job, and a good relationship with his kids or family. It doesn't mean he won't take a fall again to drugs ,but it will be pretty obvious to you when the drug life is behind him.

The drug addicts in my family who have done well moved 1000 miles away from their old scene. So if he is still running around in the same circles, he is going to need some body right there with him all the time . If he is still coming and going with large gaps of time in between you may never know for sure.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Offering to be there for someone who has helped you through a bad time in your life is great, but if you have a gut feeling that he is not even going to rehab, and asking you for money? Whats up with that?

I would offer to go with him for "support" or ask him questions about it, and see if his answers are short and sweet, or if he acts funny about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships