Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times

Advertisements

When I got my first "real" job, was about 20 or so... That being said I worked with a couple of guys that were a lot older then me, they were probably in their late 30' early 40's.

One of the guys, we'll call him "Bob" I got along OK with him, not great, but enough to have a friendly work relationship with. He was an OK guy.

Fast forward about 21 yrs later, this was about last yr, I was working on a project and with some other employees, anyways, we were out to lunch and were sitting there and this guy "bob" walks in to the same restaurant, some place that was nearly 80 miles away from where we used to work together, and anyways, he goes up to the counter and proceeds to order. I see him and sorta duck when I see him.

I don't know why I ducked when I saw him. My first gut reaction was that he looked like a sad sad sack of man, sorta like life had done him wrong in the last 20 yrs. When I knew him, he always seemed like life had sorta semi-done him wrong, if that makes any sense.

So I'm sitting there sorta hiding behind my co-workers while we eat lunch, I just been having a rough week, didn't really feel sociable, and by the looks of Mr long face he was looking like someone had pissed in his cheerios. So I use this rational to not go up to him and get all chummy.

After a while he finishes his lunch and gets up, not seeing me, cleans up his area and heads out the door to leave. He gets in his little ratty beat up car and proceeds to leave.

I, a year or so later, still feel sorta crappy for not doing the socially appropriate thing by going over and talking to him and doing all of the typical haven't-seen-you in 20 plus yrs talk.

Like I said, I was having a bad day, and he looked like life had kicked in him in nutz...... IDK...

Is it a cop out, or no big deal????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
Sounds like he might have been on your "maybe" list once.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM

527 posts, read 1,233,370 times
Some days you just don't feel like socializing. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Sounds like he might have been on your "maybe" list once.
Not sure what that means??

You implying that I like to lay with the men folks????

Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not sure what that means??

You implying that I like to lay with the men folks????
No. Just if you were available and he asked you might have dated.
Your post kind of read like that a woman might have wrote. I have no idea of your sexuality or inclination.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No. Just if you were available and he asked you might have dated.

Yeah.... thanks for the constructive input......

Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 PM

395 posts, read 707,764 times
Quote:
When I got my first "real" job, was about 20 or so... That being said I worked with a couple of guys that were a lot older then me, they were probably in their late 30' early 40's.

One of the guys, we'll call him "Bob" I got along OK with him, not great, but enough to have a friendly work relationship with. He was an OK guy.

Fast forward about 21 yrs later, this was about last yr, I was working on a project and with some other employees, anyways, we were out to lunch and were sitting there and this guy "bob" walks in to the same restaurant, some place that was nearly 80 miles away from where we used to work together, and anyways, he goes up to the counter and proceeds to order. I see him and sorta duck when I see him.

I don't know why I ducked when I saw him. My first gut reaction was that he looked like a sad sad sack of man, sorta like life had done him wrong in the last 20 yrs. When I knew him, he always seemed like life had sorta semi-done him wrong, if that makes any sense.

So I'm sitting there sorta hiding behind my co-workers while we eat lunch, I just been having a rough week, didn't really feel sociable, and by the looks of Mr long face he was looking like someone had pissed in his cheerios. So I use this rational to not go up to him and get all chummy.

After a while he finishes his lunch and gets up, not seeing me, cleans up his area and heads out the door to leave. He gets in his little ratty beat up car and proceeds to leave.

I, a year or so later, still feel sorta crappy for not doing the socially appropriate thing by going over and talking to him and doing all of the typical haven't-seen-you in 20 plus yrs talk.

Like I said, I was having a bad day, and he looked like life had kicked in him in nutz...... IDK...

You know the answer to your question so theirs no point asking us.

You're just looking for people to say it's okay that you ducked out. ok or not ok is up to you, not what we think.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbrian View Post
You know the answer to your question so theirs no point asking us.

You're just looking for people to say it's okay that you ducked out. ok or not ok is up to you, not what we think.

Well, an opinion would be nice.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,658 times
Quote:

Maybe you wanted to talk, maybe you didn't. It was up to you to do what you wanted. I usually don't get all chummy with ex co-workers either. If they say hey, I'll say hey back, but I don't call them on the phone and stuff at night.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
It must have been the right thing to do at the time and under the circumstances, or you wouldn't have done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships