Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:20 AM

323 posts, read 788,592 times

Advertisements

So I recently went through a very quick and odd relationship. A guy I'd dated off and on for 2 years was going to move with me (temporarily) and we were going to try and work on being a couple again. I ended up meeting someone new and told my ex that he wouldn't be able to stay with me and we would not be together. As I expected, he was very angry. A few days later, he messages me telling me how hurt he was along with some that I took as threatening. After that, he tried again to contact me more rationally but I had nothing left to say to him and didn't want to hea what he had to say either.

The new guy and I got serious very quickly. After a week, he bought me a diamond ring. We were clear that it was a symbol of how serious he was about me and not an engagement ring. Soon after, he asked me to move in and eventually I gave in. Before I'd lived there for two weeks, he dumped me. He's been very nice and apologetic through this whole thing, but I can't help but be pissed. I, however have let him know how inconvenienced I am, but have kept most of my anger to myself. While I was moving, we had to communicate, but I kept it all very minimal as I just wanted to put the whole mess behind me. Last week, I was clearly avoiding him (we work together) and he had the nerve to get mad at me saying that he's been nice and respectful throughout this whole thing and I made him feel like I thought he was mean. I do think he's mean lol!

Why do people get so angry during break ups? I know I didn't intend to hurt my old guy and I don't think the new guy intended to hurt me.. But I can't help but be angry at him (and myself). Is it okay to feel like this? And if so, why is it okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
So I recently went through a very quick and odd relationship. A guy I'd dated off and on for 2 years was going to move with me (temporarily) and we were going to try and work on being a couple again. I ended up meeting someone new and told my ex that he wouldn't be able to stay with me and we would not be together. As I expected, he was very angry. A few days later, he messages me telling me how hurt he was along with some that I took as threatening. After that, he tried again to contact me more rationally but I had nothing left to say to him and didn't want to hea what he had to say either.

The new guy and I got serious very quickly. After a week, he bought me a diamond ring. We were clear that it was a symbol of how serious he was about me and not an engagement ring. Soon after, he asked me to move in and eventually I gave in. Before I'd lived there for two weeks, he dumped me. He's been very nice and apologetic through this whole thing, but I can't help but be pissed. I, however have let him know how inconvenienced I am, but have kept most of my anger to myself. While I was moving, we had to communicate, but I kept it all very minimal as I just wanted to put the whole mess behind me. Last week, I was clearly avoiding him (we work together) and he had the nerve to get mad at me saying that he's been nice and respectful throughout this whole thing and I made him feel like I thought he was mean. I do think he's mean lol!

Why do people get so angry during break ups?
Because they're hurt - most/many people respond to having their feelings hurt by getting angry. It both expresses their feelings while also being a way to protect them. Once you've been hurt by someone, you don't want them to see you vulnerable and weak and getting angry shows that you're not (it doesn't really but we feel like it does).

Quote:
I know I didn't intend to hurt my old guy and I don't think the new guy intended to hurt me.. But I can't help but be angry at him (and myself). Is it okay to feel like this? And if so, why is it okay?
Yes, it's okay as long as you don't resort to the threatening nature that your ex did. It's okay to feel that way because you're human and it's a natural reaction. It's sort of like grieving - you have to go through a certain emotional process to get over the event and move on. As long as you're not hanging onto your anger too long, there is nothing harmful about your feelings.

I hope that you have learned from this relationship though. Whether it was an engagement ring or not, buying someone expensive jewelry after only a week in a relationship is not healthy behavior. Nor is moving in together "soon after" that. Check out this article: Warning Signs That You're Dating a Loser

Point number 2 is "Quick Attachment and Expression"

Quote:
"The Loser" has very shallow emotions and connections with others. One of the things that might attract you to "The Loser" is how quickly he or she says "I Love You" or wants to marry or commit to you. Typically, in less than a few weeks of dating you'll hear that you're the love of their life, they want to be with you forever, and they want to marry you. You'll receive gifts, a variety of promises, and be showered with their attention and nice gestures. This is the "honeymoon phase" - where they catch you and convince you that they are the best thing that ever happened to you. Remember the business saying "If it's too good to be true it probably is (too good to be true)!" You may be so overwhelmed by this display of instant attraction, instant commitment, and instant planning for the future that you'll miss the major point - it doesn't make sense!! Normal, healthy individuals require a long process to develop a relationship because there is so much at stake. Healthy individuals will wait for a lot of information before offering a commitment - not three weeks. It's true that we can become infatuated with others quickly - but not make such unrealistic promises and have the future planned after three dates. The rapid warm-up is always a sign of shallow emotions which later cause "The Loser" to detach from you as quickly as they committed. "The Loser" typically wants to move in with you or marry you in less than four weeks or very early in the relationship.
Particularly note the parts I bolded, it sounds like your relationship almost word for word. I'm not trying to make you feel bad about yourself for being "fooled" or anything - I'm just hoping this will help you learn from your experience and see the warning signs so this doesn't happen again.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Sometimes I am really amazed at the male perspective.

I suppose this man thinks you should 'just get over it'?

'No big deal' or something like that?

The hurting of feelings. Not something that many men want to acknowledge is a possibility. Now his feelings are hurt--perhaps he can gain some insight into how you might feel.

I just don't know. I'm still rather puzzled by the response I received when I thought I had been kind and rather reasonably explained that--'Yes, you hurt my feelings'. He offered some rather cryptic comments--I assumed they were well-intended--but sounded like 'Get over it' to me.

When you dump someone--yes, feelings get hurt--which should indicate that there was some degree of affection for the person who decided the relationship should end.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:47 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
If you have made the decision to get together with the new guy, then you need to stop throwing past petty crap in his face.
If you cannot forgive him for it, then my suggestion would be to move on.
There is no sense in making someone "eat it" over, and over. I mean, if you can`t handle what he did before, then why put yourself in the same exact position?
Get over it, or get out! Good luck!!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Feelings don't need to be justified. Ever.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
It's one of the stages of grief, no?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I guess.... I haven't been dumped in a long time... So I guess Im out of the loop on that.

Just roll baby....... It will get better...

Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post

Why do people get so angry during break ups? I know I didn't intend to hurt my old guy and I don't think the new guy intended to hurt me.. But I can't help but be angry at him (and myself). Is it okay to feel like this? And if so, why is it okay?
Well now you know how the other guy feels but really it should be yourself that you are angry with for moving in so quickly with someone you didn't know.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Feelings don't need to be justified. Ever.
I agree with this completely, as long as they are coming from a rational place.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Sometimes I am really amazed at the male perspective.

I suppose this man thinks you should 'just get over it'?

'No big deal' or something like that?

The hurting of feelings. Not something that many men want to acknowledge is a possibility. Now his feelings are hurt--perhaps he can gain some insight into how you might feel.

I just don't know. I'm still rather puzzled by the response I received when I thought I had been kind and rather reasonably explained that--'Yes, you hurt my feelings'. He offered some rather cryptic comments--I assumed they were well-intended--but sounded like 'Get over it' to me.

When you dump someone--yes, feelings get hurt--which should indicate that there was some degree of affection for the person who decided the relationship should end.
But hurt feelings are just a part of life and a part of love and romance. What other choice do you have but to just get over it?

You can allow yourself to be hurt the rest of your lifetime, never get over it. Or you can move on. It's your choice - but of course it's okay to be hurt for a short time, be sad for a short time but the whole point is to get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships