Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times

Advertisements

I just thought that this would a great thing to talk about: What are your pet Peeves when it come to dining at home or out. Eating at home and dining out are great ways to develop relationships with family and friends. And it's also a good way to get an insight of what a person will be like before you marry them

These are just a few of mine:

1) Sitting at the table with your hat on, not good.

2) Eating with you mouth open, gross.

3) Talking on the cell phone, at home or dining out, uncouth & very rude.

4) Receiving calls at home while eating, that's family time.

5) Allowing the children to roam around at will when they should be sitting and eating.

Now these are just a few that I have and I feel the my mom and dad tried to do their best to raise 10 respectable children and not the heathen we see today.

So what are yours and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
The only complaint I have is people always time their question to you right as you just stuffed that big bite of chewy steak in your mouth.

My dog would appreciate if I was a little more sloppy when I eat. He's learned to sit at my feet during dinner.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I just thought that this would a great thing to talk about: What are your pet Peeves when it come to dining at home or out. Eating at home and dining out are great ways to develop relationships with family and friends. And it's also a good way to get an insight of what a person will be like before you marry them

These are just a few of mine:

1) Sitting at the table with your hat on, not good.

2) Eating with you mouth open, gross.

3) Talking on the cell phone, at home or dining out, uncouth & very rude.

4) Receiving calls at home while eating, that's family time.

5) Allowing the children to roam around at will when they should be sitting and eating.

Now these are just a few that I have and I feel the my mom and dad tried to do their best to raise 10 respectable children and not the heathen we see today.

So what are yours and why?
Well, I have to admit that I have pretty awful table manners. I really love to read my mail while I am eating dinner. Often if I don't have mail, I will pick up a magazine or newspaper and read while I eat. It is rude, I know. But there were many years in my life when I had to eat alone, and it made it much nicer, and I just developed the habit.

As far as pet peeves of mine? Well, it would have to be loud eating noises. Lord, when my dh eats, you would think he has not tasted a morsel of food for a week. The man is one noisy eater. Smack, slurp, chomp, chomp chomp. Sometimes it sounds like a heard of water buffalo. I suppose, I don't like it because it disturbs my reading LOL which is kind of ironic when you think about it.

I would think that maybe he was making all that noise on purpose to distract me, but I know for certain he eats that way ALL THE TIME regardless of whether I am reading or not (or if anyone else is in the room).

My mother also annoys me because she is "fidgety" at the table. She just can't sit down and eat. She has to hop up and get more napkins, or hop up and get more water, or check on this or look at that. I want to just yell.... "SIT DOWN AND EAT". But I don't, because that would not be very nice.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
1) People who bite their forks.
2) Chewing with mouth open.
3) Loud noises when eating.
4) People who don't wait to start eating until everyone is seated.
5) Watching t.v. while at the dinner table.
6) Slurping drinks.
7) "Drinking" soup or cereal from the bowl...this is just nasty!
8) The use of toothpicks or fingers to dislodge food from teeth at the table.

I have a feeling my list could go on and on....

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I hate the sound of someone slurping their soup, or scraping their plate or bowl with their fork or spoon to get the last tidbit. Guess they want to make sure everyone around them knows theyre eating. Those are the type of people that wonder why I dont like doing lunch or dinner with them.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I hate the sound of someone slurping their soup, or scraping their plate or bowl with their fork or spoon to get the last tidbit. Guess they want to make sure everyone around them knows theyre eating. Those are the type of people that wonder why I dont like doing lunch or dinner with them.
Oh, I forgot the scraping of the last morsel in my list! Whenever I see someone like that, I feel like handing them a rubber spatula and taking their metal utensils so the rest of us are spared the atrocious noise.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
yep slurping soup or a drink.

Yuck.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
LOL - and here I thought I was alone in hating these behaviors! Pretty much everything on everyone's list is a turn-off to me, but since I'm a lone diner I don't have to put up with this anymore, except for the odd occasion of going to a diner at 4am after work with a bunch of strippers - and THAT'S always good for making people stop their bad eating habits immediately!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Allowing children to play handheld video games, listen to ipods and text during dinner at a restaurant (and at home, of course!).

Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Oh, just remembered a gross one that I actually saw in a "better" restaurant once- guy digging in his nose then blithely continuing to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships