Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
I approve of it 20 33.90%
I don't approve of it 16 27.12%
It depends 21 35.59%
Don't know 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,421,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I'm surrounded by atheists! Actually I know few Christians and most of the people I know are atheists!
News flash, there are actually some Christians who support abortion rights and some atheists who don't.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM

624 posts, read 1,118,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
News flash, there are actually some Christians who support abortion rights and some atheists who don't.
news flash! those are not Christians... a Christian loves God's creation!

Then it's one thing to support abortion rights because you believe in freedom and other thing to have an abortion!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM

243 posts, read 274,274 times
I voted no I don't approve of it. How would the children be raised? I listened to Christians being badmouthed a lot over the years even where I'm from in the South. I couldn't see letting anyone with views like that into my personal life, I absolutely wouldn't want my children in a relationship like that. I don't see why they would want to date Christians anyway considering how they feel about them, I know I couldn't be with someone who felt that way about Christians. I know some will say give us a chance we can respect each other. To this I say I've seen yall's version of "respect" I see it on television, and have had conversations with others who use that version of respect basically the same old let me trash your beliefs and you take it and if you get aggravated than I'll say your being unreasonable. I do like being mocked especially when it's done by someone who is close. Also I've found atheists usually hold other views that I don't agree with at all either, and I think while you may not agree on absolutely everything you need some common ground or one of you is going to dominate the relationship. Either that or you'll end up arguing all the time, and I just don't like arguing.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,921,725 times
I dont think christians and atheists dating is a good idea. It's too big a conflict of beliefs. Atheism is almost like its own religion. I mean they believe that there is no god, but the whole faith component to christianity is that there is no hard evidence of a god. Likewise there is no hard evidence that there IS NO god. So atheists have faith and seem like a religion as well. I mean if you don't believe in other peoples religions, you can just say no thanks. Theres no need to criticize them or offend them just because you think they are arrogant.
I think a christian and maybe an agnostic could get along better. It's really a case by case basis of course. I mean someone who is Christian but is very relaxed and some who is Christian who is strict is two sides of the spectrum. Same with an atheist.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
news flash! those are not Christians... a Christian loves God's creation!

Then it's one thing to support abortion rights because you believe in freedom and other thing to have an abortion!
It's not up to any one man (or woman) to decide who is or isn't really Christian. God will judge. Your job is to just love your neighbor.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,719,327 times
My wife is an atheist, my girlfriend is a Christian, and I guess I am in the middle (in more ways than one).

I'm a "spiritual adventurist" (roughly pagan/Unitarian/agnostic - mostly just "philosopher") Anyways, we all get along just fine. My gf is not a fundamentialist and doesn't try to convert us. My wife can be a somewhat brash atheist in the presence of a pushy Christian, but since my gf is not pushy about her views, all is well.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,309,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How do you feel about Christians dating and marrying atheist people?
I find it interesting how you worded your question. Christians are people too you know.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,799,624 times
"How would the children be raised?"

well in our house we were raised form day 1 to be our own people.
we were provided with a bible to read at our own will, we whent to church if we wanted to, it was explained to us form a young age this is what mommy belives, this is what daddy belives this is what buddists belive and hindu and islam and jew ect.
we were taught in school about other religions as well...
we were welcome to ask questions, to see for ourselves to form our own opinions.

the result.
my brother belives in god, he likes to go to church and considers himself catholic...
my sister is athiest...
and im pagan...

its nice being educated in such a way as to be able to make desicions of our own rather than having had our parents push one or the other on us.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,869,289 times
I'm an atheist and I have many friends/family who are religious. My view ... its your choice, do what you want just don't involve me. I even allowed my children to be baptized. As it means nothing to me why should I care? It mean't something to my wife so fair enough.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm an atheist and I have many friends/family who are religious. My view ... its your choice, do what you want just don't involve me. I even allowed my children to be baptized. As it means nothing to me why should I care? It mean't something to my wife so fair enough.

What??? You mean you don't laugh at her when she prays, AND you let your children be baptized???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships