Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh jeeeez. You really posted this? Really?
Of course he did, we should expect no less from our Manlet

To the OP, I'm very happy things worked out for you. My high school boyfriend and I found each other on Facebook also and ended up in a brief relationship. Ours didn't work out but we are still good friends and hopefully he and I will eventually find the ones who are right for us.

Not all FB relationships destroy marriages although I do agree that there is a lot of that going on. I also believe that good strong marriages aren't the ones being destroyed, it's the ones that are already on shaky ground. The FB relationship just provides an "easy out" instead of working on the established relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Meeting the right person

I did, finally. Looking back, I met him indirectly and found out it was his birthday (it was mine too but I did not want to take the attention from him so I never said anything!). Right there, I felt a bond but over the years, we dated others but would run into each other. (One time, there was a group of us at a clothing store - the sales clerk came out, came out to me and said - your boyfriend wants your approval - when I wasn't his girlfriend!!)

Some time later, when I had started my own company and was crazy busy, he popped back into my life. We were married the following year and now it's been 27 years!! It does not seem like it at all.

Has it always been easy? No. We are both easy to live with, however. Lots of hills and valleys; we've been through so much - we share many of the same characteristics and how many people, really, could wake one morning and say "Happy Birthday" and "same to you, too!" - makes it easy!

Eddie, congratulations! Enjoy your life together!

PS - I am a hopeless romantic.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I'm not trying to make any kind of personal attack, but people who use terms like "soul mate" do not have realistic expectations and are going to be let down, and that leads to very bad treatment of the other party. There is no person especially designed and predestined to be there "right" person for you. Thinking this way is quite arrogant.

You can hope to meet someone that you get alone well with and have lots of common interests, but to think there is some person perfectly right for you is just an impossibility.
When will they be let down? The two people who've posted their stories so far have been married for 10 and 14 years.

So I'm sure they'd really like to know when they'll be suddenly "let down" by thier "expectations" *rolls eyes*

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Why would someone who is "predestined and perfect for you" have such bad judgment to be in a relationship with someone who is an abusive alcoholic?

Your "perfect" person has poor judgment?
Perfect for HIM--not a perfect person. I think most people, even those who believe in soulmates, know there isn't a perfect person, but only a person perfect for them. Everyone has faults, duh.

And that sounds a lot like a peronal attack which you claim you were trying to avoid.. oh well.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
Before I comment on the soulmate ill stay on track with the OPs thread. I met my girlfriend in high school. Pretty normal and not too crazy but I have to say our relationship is pretty awesome. I think we just share alot of commonalities in both background, values, and personality - especially humor. I think commonality is one of the best predictors of a long happy relationship. Sameness is good. Opposites may or may not attract, but its sameness that keeps them together.

About soul mates, is their such a thing as a destiny to marry someone, No. Can a match be a great match and probably last a lifetime, Yes.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
i met my wife in a little pub in irish section of the windy city ..she was pretty funny for she used to asked me stange questions when i would come into the pub for it served pretty good pub food and i would come in dureing the week for lunch ..

one day i came in and she was beening a smart a$$ about something and the bartender told me to watch out for she was guning for me that day ..the day before i took some money off her in a bet and i was sitting there eating lunch when she walked up to the table and told me double or nothing on the next game that the cubs played ..i said ok and i win you have to go out with me and buy me dinner and pick me up for dinner

she lost and the day of the date i had to go back to the base for work and she would pick me up from there for our date..she did take me out instead of the dinner i got a hotdog and soda from a local street vender and that was it ..

the a couple of days later i was back in the pub and her dad asked me how was my date and i told him about the date ..he gets up and calls the house and tells her to get down here now ..when she shows up ...
he made her take me out for a propler dinner instead and told her if you lose a bet then honor the bet..

Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
^ good story haha

Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i met my wife in a little pub in irish section of the windy city ..she was pretty funny for she used to asked me stange questions when i would come into the pub for it served pretty good pub food and i would come in dureing the week for lunch ..

one day i came in and she was beening a smart a$$ about something and the bartender told me to watch out for she was guning for me that day ..the day before i took some money off her in a bet and i was sitting there eating lunch when she walked up to the table and told me double or nothing on the next game that the cubs played ..i said ok and i win you have to go out with me and buy me dinner and pick me up for dinner

she lost and the day of the date i had to go back to the base for work and she would pick me up from there for our date..she did take me out instead of the dinner i got a hotdog and soda from a local street vender and that was it ..

the a couple of days later i was back in the pub and her dad asked me how was my date and i told him about the date ..he gets up and calls the house and tells her to get down here now ..when she shows up ...
he made her take me out for a propler dinner instead and told her if you lose a bet then honor the bet..
That is awesome. How long ago what that?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i met my wife in a little pub...
Excellent!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
No soulmate in my life yet. I do believe it happens though, because I think my parents are with their soulmates.... My mom was a Southern belle from Georgia and my dad was a divorced, cynical lawyer from all over. He went to an island to get himself together and met her walking the beach. He claims that when he looked into her green eyes that day he saw his future. She says that he looked so alone and lost she wanted to make him smile. They are still together....after 27 years....and a twenty year age difference...so I do think it is possible to find that person. Also, when they are in the same room the air crackles with chemistry, which proves to me that passion can last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships