Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Well...thats your opinion and your ego.
Ah, hahahaha - Matt, you've been owned!

Or, as the kids used to say a while back, "pwned".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Ah, hahahaha - Matt, you've been owned!

Or, as the kids used to say a while back, "pwned".
Well it fits the topic. I just hope Mistress Virgode does not punish me too much. I'll be a good slave from now on.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I find it very offensive. To answer your question, children have individual rights protected by law and may not be traded, sold or used as possessions.

They are people and as such cannot be owned. People who think of their children or children in general as possessions are just plain WRONG.

In regards to you Virgode, you've lost me... I'm not sure what you're asking?

If you want me to justify this whole thread - then don't bother clarifying. I have just as much right as anyone to start a topic on anything I choose.
Sorry, children do NOT have rights, and are not protected under the Constitution. Consider the Fourth Amendment rulings on this--schools will continue to conduct locker searches (where they HAVE lockers), searches of students' bookbags or purses, without warrants.

You get "rights" when you turn 18, and can vote.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Well it fits the topic. I just hope Mistress Virgode does not punish me too much. I'll be a good slave from now on.
No no..no....Its High Priestess

Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
I know of a case now; a son, upon learning of his father's unhappiness in the marriage to the son's mom, warned the dad in so many words he'd disown him if he leaves his mom. The father has sacrificed his own happiness for his children and their happiness all their lives. Now that they're grown, he can't seem to stop. He believes he really will be disowned by them. If they'd stop to really look at their dad, they'd see a very sad and lonely man. But all they can think of is themselves. They really seem like they feel they own him. Makes me sick when people behave this way.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I know of a case now; a son, upon learning of his father's unhappiness in the marriage to the son's mom, warned the dad in so many words he'd disown him if he leaves his mom. The father has sacrificed his own happiness for his children and their happiness all their lives. Now that they're grown, he can't seem to stop. He believes he really will be disowned by them. If they'd stop to really look at their dad, they'd see a very sad and lonely man. But all they can think of is themselves. They really seem like they feel they own him. Makes me sick when people behave this way.
Oh my..Thats a grossly exagerated sense of not knowing where you end and another begins. Sad for him.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Oh my..Thats a grossly exagerated sense of not knowing where you end and another begins. Sad for him.
It's downright tragic. No exaggeration.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
No, I don't believe anyone owns anyone. I don't even really feel like I *own* my dog - more that she is a part of my family.

Ownership almost implies the right to do whatever you want with the person/animal that you 'own' whether or not it's in their best interests. That's kinda sick.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
...yes and no.

When I owned my own businesses, I had to have operating hours that would cater to my customers. Not the hours that I wanted, but the hours that were convenient for them. I had to offer services that were not always my favorites because THOSE were the ones that paid the bills. I couldn't always speak my mind - if I did that, I'd have precious few clients left. I had to create advertising that appealed to them - not necessarily to me. I had to dress in a way that they expected - not always what I would consider comfortable.

We are ALL "owned" by someone or something - it's just a matter of what we can or want to live with. It's like that TV show "Hoarders" - those people become owned by what THEY own. When the dump truck and the back-loader come to empty their house, the "owner" weeps and protests and threatens suicide - I'd call that a slave/Master relationship, wouldn't you?

I feel that the entire "be free with your own business" motto contains many hidden pitfalls. Yes, it's wonderful to plan a day off during the week - but you still have to PLAN it, and notify your customers, and hope they won't become so disenfranchised that they don't return...there were days when I wished for the safety and security of being a drone again.

But thankfully, those days were few and far between.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It's downright tragic. No exaggeration.
Not to imply you've exaggerated.... the exaggerated sense of feeling the right to impose restrictions with penalties if they don't comply....its sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships