Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,095,578 times

Advertisements

When it comes to parties, I'm usually the hostess. I LOVE to throw a good party. I like planning the menu, choosing the wine and the music, arranging the flowers and cooking the food.

I even like the quite "clean up" time at the end of the evening.

When I attend a party, I often throw myself into hostess-mode. I'll offer my help in the kitchen if the host(ess) needs it. I'll introduce friends to other friends. I'll open wine bottles and refill glasses if I notice that the host is falling behind. Baaad, I know, but poor entertaining skills kind of irk me.

I'm a first-born, yet a true introvert by nature, but if no one else will take command, I seemlessly fall into that "leadership" role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,049,794 times
Depends on the party. If it's filled with people I know, then I wade right in.

If it's a party where I don't know many, I will typically sit back at first and observe. Then I make a game of it.

Here's a foolproof party tactic if you don't know anybody. Walk up and ask these basic questions:

1) Hi, what's your name?
2) I don't know many people here. What's your connection with [Host's name]?
3) Then ask a question or two about their lives. Inevitably it leads to a conversation.

Not that question-and-answer is a particularly civilized form of conversation, but it's a good way to get one started. This person will then volunteer information about himself or herself. Ask a couple of more questions about them and actually listen. You'll be amazed at how interesting most people are. What's more, if you spend more time talking about them and less talking about yourself, they'll think you're the most interesting conversationalist in the world.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Oh, a party that I'm throwing or where I'm the guest of honor is totally different than being a guest at a party. I much prefer the first two.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 PM

542 posts, read 587,045 times
Tends to vary. I'm not very talkative most of the time (even when I'm around people I know). Get a game going and I tend to be more outgoing.

I don't go to parties (or any other social events) very often (less than once a month).

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,809,293 times
I'm somewhere in between as it would depend how well I know the people and who is it I'm hanging out with. At the end of the day, I'm hammered as hell but magically still have control over everything so that's like saying ''Yes I'm drunk but not really''.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM

346 posts, read 966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I don't try to get to know anyone. I'm very stand-offish, which tends to rub people the wrong way. People say their first impression of me is that I was mean or had an attitude problem. I'll socialize with the folks I came with or the folks at the party, I know. That's it. If folks try to get to know me, I'm open to that, and will socialize (but I tend to keep it light). However, I definitely am not the type that will go around and try to talk to everyone.

Basically this

Old 11-16-2010, 06:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,624,310 times
My usual "MO" when I enter a party or am out with friends is this... I scour the room, check out everyone, get a feel for the vibe and then go to work as the life of the party LOL I'm very social, alcohol just makes it even more amusing and even without, I can be pretty fun to be around or so I'm told.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,299,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Do you go to many parties?
No, I don't go out much since I don't drink or dance. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
sit on the sidelines and talk to a few people that you know the best?....I don't go to many parties. Most of the time I just hang-out with people I already know or people I seem to have something in common with and sit on the sidelines. I take everything "in" and enjoy watching all of the interaction around me. How about you?
Me too. I usually have fun that way, though. It's not like I'm sitting apart from everyone scowling at them. And if someone introduces me to someone or I notice someone I think will be cool I'll start a conversation with them, but that's very rare.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,299,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What's the point of even going if you are just going to sit there by yourself or only talk to the few people you know?
Friend(s) make me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships