Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times

Advertisements

My friend is a shy, socially inept middle age guy. He is barely holding on to a dead end job. In other words, he is sort of a loser. The lady who lived across the street from him wanted him to marry her daughter who is a divorced middle age with a teenage daughter. She is a doctor who is beautiful, successful and intelligent. She lives in another part of town.

He was confused and terrified that someone like her would take an interest in him. His immediate thought was that he isn't good enough for her. So he told the mother that he was not interested without explaining his fears. That must have broken her heart because she didn't even look at him the next time he went to her house.

The mother died recently. He didn't even go to her funeral. He wanted to though. He asked a distraught member of her family for the date, but the guy said he didn't know. I suspect if he really wanted to go, he would have.

The daughter doesn't come by the house anymore now that her mother is gone. Now the guy realizes he might have lost the best thing that could have happened to him. He wants to ask her for another chance. What should he do? Should he be given another chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
You asked two separate questions, which I posed to my Magic 8 Ball. These answers are as accurate as anyone else's.

Did he lose her for good? As I see it, yes.
Should he be given another chance? Ask again later.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
At the risk of being trite, hindsight is 20/20 especially on lost opportunities.

Sure, it would be reasonable to try and make a date with the woman by calling her, but does he even know how to get in touch with her since she doesn't come around anymore? It doesn't mean, however, that she would accept.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Does the daughter know that her mother was trying to fix her up?

This situation seems to have been discussed between the mother and your friend without the daughter's knowledge? Seems kinda odd.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Does the daughter know that her mother was trying to fix her up?

This situation seems to have been discussed between the mother and your friend without the daughter's knowledge? Seems kinda odd.
I think she does. They met when she fell and sprained her ankles while walking on the street. He picked her up and carried her home. The question came up a few days later.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
I think he should definitely give her a call. Ask her if she'd like to meet for coffee.

He's got nothing to lose, right?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I think she does. They met when she fell and sprained her ankles while walking on the street. He picked her up and carried her home. The question came up a few days later.
I can see, from this statement, how the mother would have been put off by his lack of interest seeing as how he'd already seen her and met her and his rejection of the idea came across as a rejection or lack of interest in the daughter. I thought, originally, they had never seen each other. It's a small matter of communication and interpretation. He should definitely call her.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
He has nothing to lose at this point. He should call and ask her out for coffee.

The worst thing that can happen is she says no.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,063 times
Did he carry the mother or the daughter home? If it was the daughter and a few days later the mother makes her suggestion that they get together, then obviously the daughter liked him when he helped her out. If it's the mother he carried home then the daughter might not have known much about the set up at all.

Either way though he might as well give it a shot like everyone is saying he has nothing to lose!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My friend is a shy, socially inept middle age guy. He is barely holding on to a dead end job. In other words, he is sort of a loser. The lady who lived across the street from him wanted him to marry her daughter who is a divorced middle age with a teenage daughter. She is a doctor who is beautiful, successful and intelligent. She lives in another part of town.

He was confused and terrified that someone like her would take an interest in him. His immediate thought was that he isn't good enough for her. So he told the mother that he was not interested without explaining his fears. That must have broken her heart because she didn't even look at him the next time he went to her house.
What makes this guy a loser? Is he chronicly underemployed? Or did he fall on hard times recently? Why was he terrified? Did he assume she would reject him or does he have something even worse than financial problems? How would the mother imagine him marrying her daughter when they only met once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships