Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,419,286 times

Advertisements

We all have our worth, just not to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a sappy bleeding heart liberal and I gotta say there are some polly anna's posting here.

Political correctness gone amok, as per usual.

There are some people that if they were on fire I wouldn't p i s s on them to put them out.

Mean and nasty enough for ya.....
Well, I don't think using words like ****** or ****** in public are acceptable, but damn PC, right?

I think the people who complain about PC are simply those who value intolerance.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Could a person be near-worthless then? Consider a person who has nothing to truly offer to someone, nothing that couldn't be bested by many many others.
Who holds the right to assign any inherent worth on people? And who is to say worth is related to what we can offer the world?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,590,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My ideals:

My reality is that I don't always live up to my ideals. Child rapists and murderers? I'd shoot them myself.
Yeah...that's a tough one. Still the sad thing is they probably were abused in one way or another as a child. I just believe that at one point every human being was innocent (a child) therefore I can't condemn them to be worthless. I can judge that they are doing wrong things and condemn the action though, for sure.

Also those people who commit crimes against others most likely "feel worthless". If they had some sort of personal worth they would be more likely to have empathy for others.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,590,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Could a person be near-worthless then? Consider a person who has nothing to truly offer to someone, nothing that couldn't be bested by many many others.
Having something to offer does not equate worth, in my opinion. Being human means you are worth something in itself. People may judge you for how you look, or act but all that matters is that you find worth in yourself. If every person were able to do that the world would be a better place.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
We all have our worth, just not to everyone.
This is true. it's subjective.

A parent values their own child above all others. A racist values his race above all others. What we deem as value can relate to practically anything.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 AM

23,200 posts, read 29,004,341 times
A great number of people's jobs today are dependent on worthless people.
Without those worthless people, the recipients are in danger of becoming worthless themselves.

My job. working in a long-term care facility, hinges on any number of worthless people. Someone being solely kept alive with tubes, who can't talk, walk, eat normally or even move their hands, with no hope of recovery, has become a pretty worthless individual.

One of Hitler's better achievements, he ended these people's misery and worthlessness. Animals? He could laugh his head off seeing a human being tortured, but if he witnessed you abusing an animal? Off with your head, toes, fingers, legs and arms!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Worthless is okay - worthless as in neither a plus nor a minus. But the world is better off without some people. People who choose to be rapists, killers, child abusers and so on.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 AM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Most folks are really only worth a lot to their families and, if they are lucky, a few close friends.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,613,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A great number of people's jobs today are dependent on worthless people.
Without those worthless people, the recipients are in danger of becoming worthless themselves.
So you're using the "I have a job so I must be worth SOMETHING" line of reasoning? OK...

Quote:
My job. working in a long-term care facility, hinges on any number of worthless people. Someone being solely kept alive with tubes, who can't talk, walk, eat normally or even move their hands, with no hope of recovery, has become a pretty worthless individual.
I'm heartened to know that, should I ever end up in your empathic care, I shall be well-regarded.

Quote:
One of Hitler's better achievements, he ended these people's misery and worthlessness. Animals? He could laugh his head off seeing a human being tortured, but if he witnessed you abusing an animal? Off with your head, toes, fingers, legs and arms!
So you're saying you regard as a positive achievement the act of first inflicting pain and suffering on a life, then removing that life, all in the name of cleaning up the gene pool?

Wow. Angels and ministers of grace, defend us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships