Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:42 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
couldn't go out with a guy that didn't
Well, I hope both of you have the number of the local cab company in your wallets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
The focus in this thread seems to be on people who drink themselves into oblivion. Not everyone who drinks is like that.

I once had a guy fall asleep while he was kissing me… Australian style. Down Under. Ehem.

We just laughed it off the next day.
Did he drink too much fosters beer ?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
My divorce was largely precipitated by the social expectation differences between my exwife and I. The fact I didn't drink became a large wedge in the different social outlooks we had. The problem with all this of course was that she KNEW of my non-drinking from day one, and married me anyways because it made her look good on paper and I was the rock and provider. Standard marxist marriage construct (the only kind of marriage). One producer, one consumer. Then one morning decided having a token cardboard cutout husband wasn't good enough and now all of a sudden my non-drinking makes me boring and unsupportive of her immature desires to "not feel like I've missed out on anything in my 20s". And complained she was chubby (didn't like me even looking at that little gem) while double fisting the michelob ultra (sweetie, 90 calories X 7 = a happy meal at midnight, good luck metabolizing that while resting passed out). I digress.

My point is that there is an incredible irony in a society full of functional alcoholics intent on legislating the benchmark for what constitutes social and anti-social behavior, where they are the ones who are objectively socially handicapped, due to the need for an intoxicant in order to socially perform. I had no problem socializing in drinking settings, but it's not good enough, I couldn't just have a conversation, enjoy the foolishness of the intoxicated peanut gallery and leave 3 hours early as it is simply not amusing for a sober person to mingle that long in a setting that requires intoxication in order to have an appeal. This is also partly a cultural difference, as Hispanics (or 'wispanics' in my case ) tend to center their gatherings around food and dancing, where the Anglo-American construct of a party is a largely dance-less food-less lounging construct centered exclusively on one denominator: consumption of a **** flavored beverage. Awesome.

The other one is the leap in logic about the act of non-drinking being defaulted as an automatic judgment on those who drink socially. This is a logical fallacy, which I do think stems from the very social handicap of social drinkers. They are threatened by the thought there are people out there who could be construed as socially more adept by virtue of their non-need for a crutch in order to socially function and be perceived as "%uckable". It's quite an interesting social dynamic. I often get the weird looks and the pointed questions as to why I don't drink. Inferences to religious reasons et al are usually the common jabs. It's all quite predictable really, which is why I do steer clear of the bar scene, which sadly is where the majority of the herd flocks to on Friday night, adding to my hardship in finding people of like mind and who could potentially be a life partner. I don't care, this is who I am, I'll accept and deal with the fear of loneliness before I lose myself in the process of fitting in. As-Salamu Alykum

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
No one drinks fosters here.
Its a ploy. We keep the good stuff here

Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM

362 posts, read 392,121 times
Quote:
couldn't go out with a guy that didn't
I think most of us gathered that from your posts. On the upside, you both can share a liver transplant.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
No, our pet kangaroo kicked him in the head and knocked him out.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Quote:
Haha no. I know the kind of people you’re talking about and I am most certainly not one of them.

I think if you choose not to drink around a group of people who are drinking, and then that group of people start to get silly, don’t look down on them like they’re scum. Better if you just leave.
I leave if they get a**hole-ish, but other wise I have a good time laughing with them. Yes, with them. I kinda always laugh too much (at things that others think aren't that funny, etc) so when other people are drinking, I'm normal!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Quote:
The focus in this thread seems to be on people who drink themselves into oblivion. Not everyone who drinks is like that.

I once had a guy fall asleep while he was kissing me… Australian style. Down Under. Ehem.

We just laughed it off the next day.
hahaha! I once fell asleep watching a girl very slowly, rhythmically rub her boobs. hahaha.. tmi? too off topic? :P
either way: hey, this thread is turning out ok!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
I've known guys that have drank though a 18pk. up to a 24pk. of beer in 1 day
That's called an alcoholic, and a liver transplant waiting to happen....

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

525 posts, read 1,554,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
That's called an alcoholic, and a liver transplant waiting to happen....
The ones that I know that do it only do that on the weekends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships