Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

What do those of you who’ve done online dating think of men’s writing? Is it me or are 90% of men totally illiterate?! It’s such a turn-off! Would you continue corresponding with and/or meet somebody who otherwise was half-as@ decent…? The example I have in mind right now is not even the worst I’ve seen (just as far as ads go; not those I’ve dealt with personally)… It’s more on the sloppy side than on the illiterate side, but it still looks so awful!

P.S. Great! I made a mistake in the title and can't even edit it!;-) What I'm talking about is way worse, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
One thing that attracted me to my SO was his writing. Educated, skilled, and very literate. He writes one amazing love letter too.

When we first met online, the Cyrano thing popped into my head. I thought someone else was writing for him. But I was wrong. It was all him.

My feelings about this are pretty severe. In the beginning, we are trying to be on our best behavior and impress each other. If you can't construct a sentence, spell(or look it up), or express yourself, you probably aren't the man for me. Doesn't matter if it's because you are lazy or unintelligent. It won't work.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What do those of you who’ve done online dating think of men’s writing? Is it me or are 90% of men totally illiterate?! It’s such a turn-off! Would you continue corresponding with and/or meet somebody who otherwise was half-as@ decent…? The example I have in mind right now is not even the worst I’ve seen (just as far as ads go; not those I’ve dealt with personally)… It’s more on the sloppy side than on the illiterate side, but it still looks so awful!

P.S. Great! I made a mistake in the title and can't even edit it!;-) What I'm talking about is way worse, though.
You should post a few samples so we can see sierra.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
A great idea! It should become a new thread for people to contribute examples to.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:

Understandable. You want a take a good look at her to see if she is worth writing home about. What did you have in mind? Nothing blue I hope.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My feelings about this are pretty severe. In the beginning, we are trying to be on our best behavior and impress each other. If you can't construct a sentence, spell(or look it up), or express yourself, you probably aren't the man for me. Doesn't matter if it's because you are lazy or unintelligent. It won't work.
So are mine, I'm afraid... I'm a foreigner, for Pete's sake! And a native speaker can't write in his own damn language?!

Quote:
Well, I'm not talking about the worst offenders like "A womEN," or "your" instead of "you're," etc. lovely gems, but it's still pretty sloppy in a stranger way. The words are spelled OK for the most part and go beyond 3rd-grade vocabulary, but the flow of the thoughts is just messy... There is a reason right now for the writing to be done quickly and a bit under pressure (or at least that's what I've been told), but it still sucks.

No wonder most are in a hurry to get to the phone...

My intention wasn't discussing this specific example... I just wanted to check how others feel about the topic.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
One thing that attracted me to my SO was his writing. Educated, skilled, and very literate. He writes one amazing love letter too.
Hey----you told me I wrote more than one amazing love letter, darling!

Quote:
When we first met online, the Cyrano thing popped into my head. I thought someone else was writing for him. But I was wrong. It was all him.
Yeah, and look what you got when we finally met live and in person---the guy who makes Cyrano de Bergerac resemble Adonis.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
Hey----you told me I wrote more than one amazing love letter, darling!

Yeah, and look what you got when we finally met live and in person---the guy who makes Cyrano de Bergerac resemble Adonis.
Ha! Are you really Mr. Yellowsnow?

Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I had no idea yellowsnow and Whistler were an item.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
A great idea! It should become a new thread for people to contribute examples to.
One to too many; but then, I have been told I am one one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships