Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM

60 posts, read 118,112 times

Advertisements

I suppose it can be individual preferences.

Usually a hug is fine, cheek kissing not so sure. Just me but I think that's usually left to the female to initiate, sort of a cheek to cheek kinda thing (and usually you see this more with people from other cultures than Americans).

I could definitely be way off though since I myself and usually a bit more reserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
A guy meets a girl at a club. He talks to her for a while by phone. He goes out with the same girl and her female friends (which he met for the first time) to celebrate her birthday. On a second occasion, he joins her to hang out/party with those same group of female friends. Upon leaving he tells the girl goodnight and then individually gives her female friends a hug and a kiss goodbye before he leaves.

I was just curious - is that appropriate or inappropriate to you?

He said women who have a problem with this are insecure.

What are your thoughts?
Define kiss.

If it is a little peck on the lips, then no harm done.

If it is a major tongue-down-your-throat kiss - inappropriate.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
I'm a little confused by your question. What/who was he responding to when he said that, "women who have a problem with this are insecure"?

When this guy mentioned this to his friend, she asked him why did he feel the need to hug and kiss her friends on the cheek. That was his response, that she's just insecure and the hug and kiss with the girls friends was perfectly fine.
They're not dating, correct? That should answer the question. They're all "hanging out" and having fun. It was a hug and a cheek kiss, no big deal. If she's looking for something more from this friendly relationship then she should make that known to him and see how that flies but, even if that came about and the relationship developed, a quick hug and a cheek kiss amongst friends is just so NOTHING to worry about. Lord Alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I would feel a little weird about it, personally, only because if I'm reading this right, he's only met these girls twice...right?

If it were a "second date" kind of situation, sure, a kiss on the cheek or the lips or what-have-you. A second platonic meeting? That seems a little "off" to me.

If he jumped right on the "insecurity" card without batting an eye, then 1) it's probably not the first time he's done this and that the other woman/women was/were "insecure" in reaction and/or 2) he's feeling defensive...hence, he may be hiding something.

Either way, it doesn't sound like this guy's exactly stellar in the social department. I personally might just shrug it off to that, but I would NOT tolerate the "you're just insecure" thing. Silliness and games right out of the gate? I'd keep smilin' and slowly phase this guy out.

That's just me.
With all due respect you're reading WAY more into this than is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Define kiss.

If it is a little peck on the lips, then no harm done.

If it is a major tongue-down-your-throat kiss - inappropriate.

20yrsinBranson
Well, according to the OP it was a peck on the cheek so tamp that one down!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
Quote:
A guy meets a girl at a club. He talks to her for a while by phone. He goes out with the same girl and her female friends (which he met for the first time) to celebrate her birthday. On a second occasion, he joins her to hang out/party with those same group of female friends. Upon leaving he tells the girl goodnight and then individually gives her female friends a hug and a kiss goodbye before he leaves.

I was just curious - is that appropriate or inappropriate to you?

He said women who have a problem with this are insecure.

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are you over analyse simple gestures.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,314,311 times
Quote:
I'm a little confused by your question. What/who was he responding to when he said that, "women who have a problem with this are insecure"?

When this guy mentioned this to his friend, she asked him why did he feel the need to hug and kiss her friends on the cheek. That was his response, that she's just insecure and the hug and kiss with the girls friends was perfectly fine.
Good grief! Why can't she be glad to have someone with the social skills and charm to even recognize their friends in such a way. Only someone with major insecurities would try to make a big deal out of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships