Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just learned a new word again! CD can be at least educational, in addition to being a time-waster! Why would I want a castrated rooster?! I want a normal and happy rooster!

What I love the most is the comb and those thingies (whatever they're called) that hang under their beaks.
At least your odds of being humped by a rooster are slimmer if it is castrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Just learned a new word again! CD can be at least educational, in addition to being a time-waster! Why would I want a castrated rooster?! I want a normal and happy rooster!
I've read that rooster meat is stringy and gamey, so I thought you were eating capon.

Quote:
What I love the most is the comb and those thingies (whatever they're called) that hang under their beaks.
That would be the wattle.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:35 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Holidays were fine when I was a kid, but as an adult I don't enjoy the typical expectations. Family rivalries and old issues often get rekindled, it seems - or at least they did with my ex and her sister. Fortunately, the local relatives were very few in number so the nastiness was limited.

Now, my wife and I live very far from any other family, so we get to spend the hoidays by ourselves or with like-minded friends. We only shop for young nieces, and even that will diminish or stop in a few years. The adults have agreed not to do gifts because of the hassles of shipping internationally.

We have most of what we need and want, so avoid the stores on Black Friday, and instead, may go for a walk on the beach, which we have almost entirely to ourselves. We may invite a friend or two (who have no family nearby) over for a wine and cheese party, or may just keep the day for ourselves and to be together without any pressures. We'll phone family and talk a bit, but that seems to suffice - we talk often enough anyway.

Now, we love the holidays!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Here's what I don't like about the holidays.

The crowds.
The to-do list that's a mile long.
The expectation of spending several days with family.

But, guess what? I suck it up and do it all with a good attitude, because when I have a good attitude I inevitably enjoy myself. Maybe if you guys would do the same rather than **** and moan about it all, it would be more pleasant for you, too. That's what separates grownups from whiney babies. Deal with it.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That would be the wattle.
Thanks, Julia! That's why I hang around - I get to expand my vocabulary! Of course, that largely depends on the customers in Cheers at the time...

Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
I just don't think it's so cut-and-dried (regarding just telling family you won't be there). We've been celebrating together for decades. And to be honest, if someone else in the family told us that they wouldn't be there that year because they wanted to do something else, I would feel slighted/offended (probably because I'd be thinking, Why do THEY get to do that?! ).

The worst part is that it would break my mom's heart. She's desperately trying to keep us all together as it is.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Now THAT'S the way to put it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's what I don't like about the holidays.

The crowds.
The to-do list that's a mile long.
The expectation of spending several days with family.

But, guess what? I suck it up and do it all with a good attitude, because when I have a good attitude I inevitably enjoy myself. Maybe if you guys would do the same rather than **** and moan about it all, it would be more pleasant for you, too. That's what separates grownups from whiney babies. Deal with it.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:27 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'm STILL gonna whine, so THERE!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
I see your point but I don't agree with allowing others to ruin the beauty of something created for and out of love. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas because I stay focused on what it means to me--not what other people do or don't do with it;what I'm thankful for and the birth of Christ. That's enough reason for me to celebrate. Whatever anyone else does with it is their business and I refuse to let it be a wet blanket on my celebration.

I hate the evil so many--SO many--do with money, yet, I don't stop using it because of them. I hate how some abuse the charity of others for selfish personal gain, yet, I don't think charity itself is bad and I don't stop giving because of the few (compared to the good)......

Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Thanks, LB. I'm just astonished how some people always look for the negative in everything. Now, I'm far from a perpetual optimist, but there's absolutely nothing worse than a perpetual killjoy, the person who consults their wristwatch a dozen times in the course of the evening or can't muster enough energy to have a conversation with a family member.

Guess what? If you look at anything in life with a jaundiced eye, you'll find something to criticize about it. So if you're one of those, shut up already and enjoy the human race. I remember my grandparents at the holidays and I would just about do anything to have a five-minute conversation with any of them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships