Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about in general, that I just don't want a get-together period; there is just a lot of negative stuff that goes on. No screaming fights or anything like that (like some people here post about ; I'm grateful for that!) just head games, competition, etc. We've ranted about it here before. It's just stuff that you can avoid in other areas of your life. Everything used to be fine, but the bigger the family gets, and the more in-laws, etc., it's just not the same.

Anyway, I DO show up, and I DO smile and suck it up; it's just a drain is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I dont buy any gifts cause im poorer then a illegal mexican.

I like halloween, thanskgiving & christmas.

Around the holidays (nov/dec) i listen to xmas music, decorate my home & watch xmas tv shows & movies.

Thats it !

Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM

How about one of you invite us for the holidays? We promise we'll be cheerful!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM

I promise to quit serial-posting here, but has anyone seen the new Target commercial with the comedian Maria Bamford, where she's getting in training for the holidays?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Here are the invites: Call his Mom..Hey we are having dinner here?
She will say,"Oh really? U having that brown sugar ham?" Yes, so come on!"
I`ll spread the word.. and see ya Thanksginin`.

I enjoy cooking and gett ing it all together, but I hate how all the sisters would rather biatch about it. I wanna say..."So, whats the problem? Do you now want to eat here, because if you don`t we have a barn!"

Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
Let's talk about anything but politics during the holidays...

Luckily, if something happens and somebody blows up, we've got only two miles to drive.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n10036 View Post
I used to like the holidays OKAY, but now the only thing I think of when the holidays come around are:

1. Having to spend money I don't have on gifts, otherwise I feel guilty. I also resent having to spend money period (even if I did have it), as the whole thing has turned into a 2-month period of ugly consumerism at its worst. Makes me ILL.

2. Having to attend family gatherings (even though we see each other all the time thru the year) because if I don't go, X, Yor Z relative will be "offended and hurt." Why is me not attending Thanksgiving the end of the freaking world?

3. Incessant holiday advertisements pressuring me to spend money.

4. All of the above.

Seriously, it makes me want to be insitutionalized during the months of Nov and Dec. so that when I get out in January, it will all be over and the world will be normal again. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Hehe I feel exactly the same as you!

The only thing I enjoy really are the 2 weeks I get off over Xmas! That and my mum’s roast lamb, which is the best in the world and only comes around once a year!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
That and my mum’s roast lamb, which is the best in the world and only comes around once a year!
On a spit? http://minnesotashopper.net/download/images-smileys/big-smilies/drooling.gif (broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
On a spit?
Noooo, but she cooks it for 4 hours. It is so crisp and amazing!!! The whole house smells like roast lamb and baked vegetables on Xmas Day, it’s wonderful!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 PM

362 posts, read 392,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Give me a BREAK!! Geshhhhhhhhh So you don't like holidays and others do.......you don't have to bash the ones that do!! It really seems like a lot of BASHING is done on all of the CD Forums nowadays. Are people that angry about what others like????
So, now my POV is bashing. I'm just stating it (the hypocrisy of it all) as I see it. Did I hit a nerve. People treat each other like dirt most of the year and act all warm and fuzzy around the holidays, unless you're one of the unfortunate ones who happen to reach for the same item in the store the same time they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships