Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

362 posts, read 392,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's what I don't like about the holidays.

The crowds.
The to-do list that's a mile long.
The expectation of spending several days with family.

But, guess what? I suck it up and do it all with a good attitude, because when I have a good attitude I inevitably enjoy myself. Maybe if you guys would do the same rather than **** and moan about it all, it would be more pleasant for you, too. That's what separates grownups from whiney babies. Deal with it.
Hey maybe I'll try that, that is, if I don't get run over by a soccer mom in her SUV road raging so she can round up some gifts for her little entitled..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Hey maybe I'll try that, that is, if I don't get run over by a soccer mom in her SUV road raging so she can round up some gifts for her little entitled..
Oh, aren't you the pure embodiment of truth and reason? It must be lonely to be so above everybody else.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Noooo, but she cooks it for 4 hours. It is so crisp and amazing!!! The whole house smells like roast lamb and baked vegetables on Xmas Day, it’s wonderful!
If you need any help eating that lamb, let me know! I'm very helpful! And it's gonna be summer down under!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I promise to quit serial-posting here, but has anyone seen the new Target commercial with the comedian Maria Bamford, where she's getting in training for the holidays?
love it!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If you need any help eating that lamb, let me know! I'm very helpful! And it's gonna be summer down under!
You bet it is! Nothing in the world like an Australian summer. Christmas is usually a 40 (104) degree day spent at the beach with family.

I can’t imagine being somewhere where it was freezing/snowing at Christmas time!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You bet it is! Nothing in the world like an Australian summer. Christmas is usually a 40 (104) degree day spent at the beach with family.

I can’t imagine being somewhere where it was freezing/snowing at Christmas time!
OK... No lamb for ME!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Holidays equate in my life to the life experience of day-long entrapment in a pressurized aluminum can at 30,000ft with raging impatient sick coughing sick toddler-toting masses. I HATE traveling commercial. It ain't cheap either during the holidays.

That said I've always gotten away with no expenditures for holiday gifts. My parents never expect much from me gift wise, and I encourage them to not give me gifts. They do anyways, and I do find their company the best gift I could receive. Plus I don't believe in pointless consumerism as a value, so it all works out.

So yes I'm off-center as well on my views on the holidays. I find it gratuitous. Relate to me with sincerity all year long and that warms up my heart more than the social stampede of millions of people stomping over each other to get trinkets to their destination and then complain about the whole ordeal. I'm not saying we should forbid people's ability to engage in said behavior, but I do consider the behavior vacuous and shallow. to each their own and all that jazz....ho ho ho.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OK... No lamb for ME!
Oh no no no, take it all, my friend! I’m happy to share, I’m sure mum is too!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Oh no no no, take it all, my friend! I’m happy to share, I’m sure mum is too!
That sounds more like a friend!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n10036 View Post
Am I the only one who feels this way?
Most likely not. You're not the first nor the last

From what it sounds like, your family, especially your brother is very loving and family-oriented (along with being very holiday happy).

So I guess my advice to you is just to suck it up and just do it for your brother. I mean, sure, you see your family multiple times a year, but when you think about it, it's still less than before. You are married and have your own life and your brother/family only want you to share your life with them, even only for a couple days. I don't think that's too much to ask for, right? The only reasons I could possibly think of to avoid all family gatherings and festivities are if there are animosity or certain circumstances (i.e. money).

You are not really obligated to buy presents, if that is really just your concern. You can just tell your brother that although you will be joining the festivities, you politely state that you cannot afford much for presents, but the gift will be heartfelt. Or bypass the gifts all together and just bring potluck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships