Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times

Advertisements

Bad marriages. Good marriages. It's all what you make of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:43 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Truth be told, I am a hopeless romantic, and pray one day to be married.
Though my parents example of what marriage is, well, the song is appropriate for them.

Jonathan

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
The longer I'm single, the more I don't think I'd ever get married even if I was in a long-term relationship. It's not because I'm jealous of couples or anything, but the way society and the domestic partnership laws are now, there's really no advantage. Besides taxes, I guess.

Other interesting facts from the article:

Quote:
The changes can be seen in more subtle ways too. New York University sociologist Dalton Conley notes that between 1986 and 2003, the most recent year for which figures are available, the proportion of marriages in which the woman was taller than the man increased by more than 10%. "In absolute terms, it's still a small minority of marriages," he says. "But I think the trend signals an incredible shift in marital and gender norms." There has also been a sharp uptick in the percentage of marriages in which the wife is older, signifying, Conley believes, a whole different understanding of the roles of men and women in the union.
Despite the complications that have ensued from this marital restructuring, it's not likely to be undone. In the 1978 poll, fewer than half of all respondents thought that the best kind of marriage was one in which both the husband and the wife worked outside the home. In the new Pew poll, 62% do. Perhaps that's not surprising given these parallel data: in 1970, 40% of wives worked outside the home. Now 61% do.
So fundamental is the shift that it's beginning to have an impact on what people look for in spouses. While two-thirds of all people think a man should be a good provider, more men than women do. Meanwhile, almost a third of people think it's important for a wife to be a good provider too.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
If its a stable family life, then an unmarried household can be healthy, but many are single parents who cycle through different boyfriends/girlfriends, and bring these different people around their kids....not healthy for the kids, in my opinion.

I have a divorced neighbor, for example, who has her son from her previous marriage, and now another kid from her live-in boyfriend. Before the live-in boyfriend was around, though, she used to have what seemed like a "booty call" guy that showed up every couple of nights, and then left either really late at night or in the morning.
But do you really think if she had been married that all of that would never have happened? A piece of paper doesn't change a person's habits or the way their mind works.

She probably still would have cheated, but tried to keep it secret and if it was found out, there would have been a messy divorce to contend with as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,111 times
"Indeed, about 39 percent of Americans said marriage was becoming obsolete. And that sentiment follows U.S. census data released in September that showed marriages hit an all-time low of 52 percent for adults 18 and over.

In 1978, just 28 percent believed marriage was becoming obsolete."

Having this belief is one thing but what has really changed since 1978 is the increase in people acting on their belief.

For most men, marriage is something that only a wealthy person - with much of their wealth well hidden - can consider anymore.

Then there are men who have nothing to lose. Now if they are good looking..........

Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
through no small effort by organized religion, and by all the commercial entities that materially benefit from the ceremony.
How else is bridezilla going to spend her inheritance while she is young enough to enjoy it!

Big bucks in this industry and they are very slick in promoting marriage ceremonies. The actual marriage gets a rather short shrift..

I read another thread this AM where those who call off the nuptuals, even many months in advance, can easily lose $30,000+ in deposits.

There is even a new career - the "wedding unwinder" when princess is too bummed out to do this herself.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
There is more domestic violence in unmarried households. And there is much more neglect and sexual abuse of children in unmarried households.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Marriage started it's long decline when it became more about the wedding and impressing one's peers than finding an appropriate person to share your life with. Basically, women changed their tastes in men and most marriages didn't last.

Not coincidentally, this was also the start in the decline in the percentage of young men pursuing an education/solid career and developing themselves, in other ways to be good husbands.

Basic economics - supply and demand - at work.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
I believe that commitment and accountability are the very pillars of a meaningful relationship. Without commitment a relationship is a mere casual encounter. While marriage isn't an absolute guarantee for a life-long union, the alternative is far more precarious.

I don't feel that you absolutely need a marriage certificate to be in a committed union. I know loving couples who have lived together for many years. They've made oaths to each other, have been faithful to each other, and obviously love each other. Their friends and family recognize them as husband and wife.

That said, my honest feeling about it is this. If they really are committed fully to each other (no reserves), why wouldn't they want to declare that with a marriage ceremony? What could they find disagreeable with making their commitment known publicly? Wouldn't that only result in affirming one another? Wouldn't it be a real plus to have a ceremony that is above question and recognizable to any and all - state, church, and society?

So when I hear people argue that you don't need a piece of paper to recognize their love, I have a seed of doubt about it. One of them ( maybe both of them) is hedging their bets and not fully committed. Talk is cheap.

For me, the marriage ceremony was an articulation and formalization of the joining of our bodies, our hearts, our souls and spirits. It provided an indisputable record as well as a foundation of security and peace that allows our marriage to thrive emotionally and spiritually.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 11-18-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
There is more domestic violence in unmarried households. And there is much more neglect and sexual abuse of children in unmarried households.
This is probably due to the willingness of many single mothers, in their desperation for a man, to accept men who are not from society's better strata.

Whenever I read anything on teens keeping their babies, this is the first thing that I think of.

Of course, men with these tendencies know this well and develop a predatory approach to finding these opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships