Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This is a tough question; for a while I had preached about how marriage was a major complication between love and law. But I also feel that when you do meet that right person, you can't help but think of the future and sharing that moment with someone either. I guess overall I would persue a commonlaw marriage. I feel marriages and weddings seem like big sacrifice to prove their love to someone, but it's really just staying with the person and having the same love and vibrations.
Well said, and you make some valid points. I think it has become easier for some people not to be pressured to go through the religious ceremony, and just shack up. So when the relationship is over, there's no need to bring the court into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Well, it's not for everyone. My hubby and I have been doing just fine without it for 25 years but married this year. We were told that was the best way to go for our visa applications, so you could say it's a marriage of convenience.
Nothing else has changed, I didn't grow a hunchback and he still still does the dishes if I cook. Worked out well really.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I never said all marriages are healthy, but a society that values marriage and two parents who are faithful to one another will produce kids who are more emotionally healthy and less likely to take risks such as promiscuous sex or to turn to drugs or gangs to find what is lacking in their home life.
A ring doesn’t equal a chastity belt. Married people are unfaithful too.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Marriage in the civil sense is a scam anyway; how assinine is it that the government penalizes married couples for not having kids when they will actually be a less of a burden on society?
You got a point there. I don't think society should pressure childfree couples to pay for something they're never going to have responsibility for.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Marriage started it's long decline when it became more about the wedding and impressing one's peers than finding an appropriate person to share your life with. Basically, women changed their tastes in men and most marriages didn't last.

Not coincidentally, this was also the start in the decline in the percentage of young men pursuing an education/solid career and developing themselves, in other ways to be good husbands.

Basic economics - supply and demand - at work.
Feminism is the biggest cause to why there's so many divorces.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
A dietitian was addressing a large audience in Chicago:
"The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago. Red meat is awful. Soft drinks erode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. Vegetables can be disastrous to some and none of us realize the long term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water. But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have eaten or will eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?"

A 75 year old man in the front row stood up and said, "Wedding cake."

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Mus...%20Rimshot.wav

Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Can't say I'm surprised. As time goes by the number who want to get married will just continue to drop. It's a highly flawed idea that is less and less compatible with modern life. And don't get me started on the gov't having their hands in it...that right there dooms it.

Hey MODS, can you change the thread title please!? It gives no hint as to what the thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships