Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
A few weeks back I had told my mother that I won't be over for the holidays. In recent years they have been spent at my cousin's house (who I can't stand. She is bossy and her husband is a hot headed bully.) My mother always feels she has to be nice to them because they help her do things (my mother has always been dependent on other people.)

I always feel uncomfortable and awkward going over. I don't drive and they live about a half hour away, so someone will have to meet me somewhere to pick meup and go over.

I am single,so I feel more like an outcast when I am around.

Anyway, my question is if anyone else dreads the holidays as much as I do and how do they cope? Honestly, I would much be happier being by myself than feeling "obligated" to go somewhere I won't be happy. (Shouldn't the holidays be about happiness anyway?)
It shocks me to read how many of us either choose, have no choice, or wish to be alone during holidays. Were I to have it my way, I'd definitely choose to be amongst friends and/or family, minus the hoopla of unjustified spending and consumerism. Unfortunately, due circumstances beyond my control, I have no choice but to spend it alone yet again. It's precisely for this reason that I dislike the holidays.

See, even though I may not appreciate (and vice-versa) each and every family member, the fact is that I don't know how many more times I may have the privilege of seeing, conversing with, or hugging that person. And maybe, the mere act of spending a little quality time with that family member I don't much care for, might just cause me to appreciate them just a little more. And if I can manage to muster a little appreciation for someone, I will be that much happier for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
A few weeks back I had told my mother that I won't be over for the holidays. In recent years they have been spent at my cousin's house (who I can't stand. She is bossy and her husband is a hot headed bully.) My mother always feels she has to be nice to them because they help her do things (my mother has always been dependent on other people.)

I always feel uncomfortable and awkward going over. I don't drive and they live about a half hour away, so someone will have to meet me somewhere to pick meup and go over.

Anyway, my question is if anyone else dreads the holidays as much as I do and how do they cope? Honestly, I would much be happier being by myself than feeling "obligated" to go somewhere I won't be happy. (Shouldn't the holidays be about happiness anyway?)

So your mother would rather spend it with your cousin....then her daughter?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:58 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So your mother would rather spend it with your cousin....then her daughter?
Actually son, lol. Anyway, like I said my cousin is bossy and my mother is very dependent on others. She feels she needs them in her life to help her with things (like getting her car fixed or job hunt.) I feel they like to lay guilt trips on you if they don't do as they tell you. I think that's her fear that she's afraid of losing her handyman or something if she stands up for herself.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Actually son, lol. Anyway, like I said my cousin is bossy and my mother is very dependent on others. She feels she needs them in her life to help her with things (like getting her car fixed or job hunt.) I feel they like to lay guilt trips on you if they don't do as they tell you. I think that's her fear that she's afraid of losing her handyman or something if she stands up for herself.

So what....she can't pay for that type of stuff?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
So what....she can't pay for that type of stuff?
She does only work part time, but those thoughts still run through my head a lot. I think I'm leaningtoward having a heart to heart chat with her that she has to ber more self sufficient.

Her brother (my uncle) practically raised her since my grandmother worked a lot. He had passed a few years back. She is just now seperated from her husband of ten years due to financial issues. Apparently she seems to be losing everyone she had relied on and all that's left is me and my cousin's husband who no one likes. She can rely on me for emotional support but I couldn't fix a car or an appliance. She does need to do things on her own.

I think I am goinig to have to talk to her, somehow.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
She does only work part time, but those thoughts still run through my head a lot. I think I'm leaningtoward having a heart to heart chat with her that she has to ber more self sufficient.

Her brother (my uncle) practically raised her since my grandmother worked a lot. He had passed a few years back. She is just now seperated from her husband of ten years due to financial issues. Apparently she seems to be losing everyone she had relied on and all that's left is me and my cousin's husband who no one likes. She can rely on me for emotional support but I couldn't fix a car or an appliance. She does need to do things on her own.

I think I am goinig to have to talk to her, somehow.
Fine to talk with her about wanting to spend the Holidays differently. I just would not mess with her support network. Since you are unable to supply certain things she needs, let her be about relying on another relative. If she is content than there it is.

You however do not need to associate with the cousin and family. If your mother wants to know why, than a honest answer such as you have written here, is the fair thing to tell her. That is without coercion to change her ways.

Happy Holidays.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
No one really has to be alone for the holidays. There are all kinds of people who spend their holidays volunteering at homeless missions and churches. Or they visit shut-ins, those in nursing homes who have no one.

Or like some people where I work who have no family throw a dinner at their apartment for the other co-workers who would otherwise be alone. Or if they have to work that day, they do their dinner the next day.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Fine to talk with her about wanting to spend the Holidays differently. I just would not mess with her support network. Since you are unable to supply certain things she needs, let her be about relying on another relative. If she is content than there it is.

You however do not need to associate with the cousin and family. If your mother wants to know why, than a honest answer such as you have written here, is the fair thing to tell her. That is without coercion to change her ways.

Happy Holidays.
That works for me. I guess I have been doing things OK, but I guess sometimes I feel like I am talking to a brick wall with her about how I feel around this time of year.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:

Thanksgiving and Christmas have become so fake and such a ritual. I treat them just like any other day. And I'm mostly alone on the holidays. Suits me just fine.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No one really has to be alone for the holidays. There are all kinds of people who spend their holidays volunteering at homeless missions and churches. Or they visit shut-ins, those in nursing homes who have no one.

Or like some people where I work who have no family throw a dinner at their apartment for the other co-workers who would otherwise be alone. Or if they have to work that day, they do their dinner the next day.
When did it become illeagal to be alone on the holidays? Why is it so stigmatized. If you want to punish me, come and intrude on my peace, solitude and privacy on a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships