Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

A few weeks back I had told my mother that I won't be over for the holidays. In recent years they have been spent at my cousin's house (who I can't stand. She is bossy and her husband is a hot headed bully.) My mother always feels she has to be nice to them because they help her do things (my mother has always been dependent on other people.)

I always feel uncomfortable and awkward going over. I don't drive and they live about a half hour away, so someone will have to meet me somewhere to pick meup and go over.

I am single,so I feel more like an outcast when I am around.

Anyway, my question is if anyone else dreads the holidays as much as I do and how do they cope? Honestly, I would much be happier being by myself than feeling "obligated" to go somewhere I won't be happy. (Shouldn't the holidays be about happiness anyway?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
I agree. If you are just gonna show up all bummed out and miserable, then you should stay home and get drunk with the dog.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Eventually you just learn to look at it as just another day. Have you explained to your mom why you don't want to get together for the holidays?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Eventually you just learn to look at it as just another day. Have you explained to your mom why you don't want to get together for the holidays?
I try to, but there are times when I have a hard time talking to her because she doesn't listen. I tell her something and she forgets because she wasn't paying attention.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
I'll be alone for Thanksgiving this year, so I thought that I would treat myself to a short vacation - five days scuba diving in Cozumel. It's your life, do what you want...

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Amen Danbo, I will be in Las Vegas for Christmas till New Years House hunting, not gonna sit home alone drinking egg nog and listening to Christmas music (I'm a jew anyway, if jews listen to christmas music blood shoots out their ears, and they start singing in tongues!)

Happy Quanzagivingnukamas!

Jonathan

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
ugh! i feel your pain. i used to have to go with my family to my cousin's MIL's house with all of HER family! i dont know WHY!!! my cousin wanted his family with him since he had to be with his wife's family--so we all had to suffer. nice people--just BORING. they would put food restrictions on all of us, look down on anyone who wanted or didnt want to go to midnight mass, no one wanted to do anything --so we would all sit around feeling uncomfortable and looking at eachother. plus there were over 50 people crammed into two rooms cause no one was alowed to step foot in the living or dining room (white carpets).
one year i just got fed up. i had had a couple of difficult things happen and i just decided i wasnt going to have another ruined christmas just to make everyone else happy!
so my parents finally came to their senses and joined me. what a relief! never went back again.
better to have a quiet night at home and eating and doing what you want.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
I'll be alone (and working) for the first time ever on Thanksgiving and Christmas because I've recently moved across the country. In my family Christmas has always been the biggest get together. Years ago it started to bum me out. I had to hear about great jobs, spouses, children and how great life was while I was alone, bitter and quite miserable. I'm glad I have an excuse not to go now. I have no problems with my family but I don't need to be reminded of what I'm missing.

Still, it's kinda depressing knowing I'll be alone and working both holidays. At least I can tap into my bottles of absinthe and gin when I get off of work.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
OP, why don't YOU make dinner (or order it) and have family or friends over? Or do dinner out and go to the movies with a few family members/friends.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OP, why don't YOU make dinner (or order it) and have family or friends over? Or do dinner out and go to the movies with a few family members/friends.
I may end up doing the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships