Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

Naw, I don't believe things are cursed, but I echo Avienne's sentiment about blood diamonds and their nasty pasts.

Frankly, knowing that diamonds are hoarded to inflate their market value has turned me off of diamonds in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
you should probably look at the economy too, look how much that ring costs, its not like you can auction off Diana's ring either. William has to give Kate a nice ring because of who he is, but because of who he is the british tax payers believe they are paying for the ring and the wedding.

If you were the royal family would you hire a horse and carriage for the ceremony or use the horses and carriages you all ready own because everyone knows you have some of the nicest ones already? Why buy a new ring when there are so many for you to choose from?

PS William stated that giving Kate his mother's ring was a symbolic way to let Diana be there in the wedding and their lives together afterward
I think this is the best way to look at it. Besides, as the monarchy goes back for centuries, their treasury must be rife with artifacts from scandals and tragedies. Take a tour of the Tower of London and hear who was beheaded there and there and there, and who's buried willy-nilly under the chapel, and all kinds of sordid stuff. They're royalty and know how to deal with this stuff. I'm sure their crowns and the 80 different garters and badges and medals and stuff they wear have tragic pasts as well ... it's not like they just make a new one every time.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
I would have preferred my own special ring, it's not like he can't afford something from Tiffany or Cartier!!!
When one has access to the British Crown jewels, one is not going to be buying something from a store.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When one has access to the British Crown jewels, one is not going to be buying something from a store.
Diana was presented with selections from a jeweler and she chose the sapphire ring.

I suppose William had several options?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think this is the best way to look at it. Besides, as the monarchy goes back for centuries, their treasury must be rife with artifacts from scandals and tragedies. Take a tour of the Tower of London and hear who was beheaded there and there and there, and who's buried willy-nilly under the chapel, and all kinds of sordid stuff. They're royalty and know how to deal with this stuff. I'm sure their crowns and the 80 different garters and badges and medals and stuff they wear have tragic pasts as well ... it's not like they just make a new one every time.
I'm glad you mentioned this--centuries of scandal and tragedy associated with the monarchy.

I suppose it is not an option for William to be 'estranged' from his father and stepmother or other members of his family.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
I think it's an interesting choice and one that Kate probably had a say in.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for a potentially happy couple to give the ring a better future and redeem something from his parents' unhappy union. Plus recycling is a good thing.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,942,278 times
It's creepy.

I would think she would have mixed feelings.

How did he give it to her? "Here is my Mom's ring. They took it off her finger in the accident."
Nice.

Although it is thoughtful, to put such a meaning of having your Mom with you is creepy. I think she deserves her OWN special ring that is given to her by her future husband.

That's just me.

They should have buried Diana with HER ring on HER finger.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
I highly doubt Diana was wearing that ring when she died. It's not an "everyday" ring. For all we know she gave it to William when she and Charles got divorced and it was in a safe until now.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
The ring doesn't bother me. A lot of men give their brides their mother's ring. I see it as an honor. Would it be any different if Diana had died of cancer.........still tragic...........but a lot of people would still pass on the ring as a treasured family heirloom.

Now, getting married in the same church where Diana's buriel service was held.............THAT would bother me...........especially if I was William.

The ring is a memory of his mother in life, the church is a memory of his mother in death. As I was standing in that church, saying my vows, I couldn't help but have flashbacks of the funeral..........not something I would want on my wedding day.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Now, getting married in the same church where Diana's buriel service was held.............THAT would bother me...........especially if I was William.
He and Kate have two choices, basically: St. Paul's, where Charles and Diana were married, or Westminster Abbey, the other big church. Westminster Abbey is typically used for royal weddings (it's where Elizabeth II was married), and it's the site of all royal coronations. It's a very logical choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships