Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times

Advertisements

I can't remember a guy every doing that around me, but I would have imagined they were being self-conscious and self-deprecating. Were they smiling?

The guys here who say they were making fun of you--interesting. And how stupid. If a short guy wants to make fun of me for being taller than he is, well, that's not going to end well for him, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
As some of you may know, I'm tall which I guess means I'm really tall in 4" heels.

Back in my later teens and throughout my twenties when I would walk through a bar or club, some guys would stand on the tip of their toes as I passed by. Well, last night I was out for girls night out at a nice sports bar/restaurant and I was I walked through the bar section to leave, a guy did it. At my age, I thought I was done with dealing with that crap.

Obviously I know it's because of my height, but my question is:

Are the guys doing it to be mean, make fun of me? Or are they doing it to catch my attention?

I've never responded to it because in my mind it's so immature and not worth addressing regardless of their intentions.

I'm just curious if any of you guys have done this or had friends who have done that and maybe stated why?

Actually, there are two or three reasons behind it, depending on the guy involved (and no real way to differentiate without getting to know them, unfortunately).

I, for example, might do that if you walked up to me and my group -- however, it would be good-natured. I've never been intimidated by tall women and in fact find them quite attractive. The Dutch National Volleyball Team actually found me charming because I wasn't bothered by their height (true story).

Anyway, I might stand up on my tiptoes but would do so visibly, and then likely make some remark (while smiling) such as "WOW, you're a tall drink of water!" It would serve as a rough compliment for being tall and gorgeous, to make light of myself for being shorter than you AND to dispel any potential sense of awkwardness between us based on that height differential by recognizing and discarding it as unimportant -- although that last part would be accomplished by continuing to smile as I talked with you.

I'd also be smiling in the hope you didn't grind my bones to make your bread, you giant! (Just kidding -- I've seen pics and you're amazingly feminine and look cultured, not to mention quite beautiful.)

Other guys, however, might be doing it without realizing you're seeing them. As you said, you're on heels. It's already obvious that you're quite tall, but with the addition of heels it's difficult to tell just HOW tall you would be in bare feet.

It's a quick way of attempting to judge your height in relation to their own by raising up to approximate wearing heels of their own.

And some might just be acting like jerks.

Mostly the heel-judgment, though. Men know that many, many women refuse to date a man shorter than they, so it's a quick assesment of potential. They see a pretty woman in a bar and have done the once-over. They haven't yet spied the ring OR yet realized you're merely out with the girls.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,366 times
Quote:
As some of you may know, I'm tall which I guess means I'm really tall in 4" heels.

Back in my later teens and throughout my twenties when I would walk through a bar or club, some guys would stand on the tip of their toes as I passed by. Well, last night I was out for girls night out at a nice sports bar/restaurant and I was I walked through the bar section to leave, a guy did it. At my age, I thought I was done with dealing with that crap.

Are the guys doing it to be mean, make fun of me? Or are they doing it to catch my attention?

I've never responded to it because in my mind it's so immature and not worth addressing regardless of their intentions.

I'm just curious if any of you guys have done this or had friends who have done that and maybe stated why?
Theres always going to be wiseguys out there . Pay no attention to them. BUt if youre already tall, why would you want to pump yourself up another 4" ? Is it because you find heels sexy and 'You' ? I think if you dispensed with the added height that youd probably have more men who would find you a potential person ..if that is what you desire. Im 6'3" tall and find women in the height range of 5'8 to 5'10" to be desirable...but a gal over 6'0" is ummmm stretching it (no pun intended) ! .lol...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,369 times
I'm glad that I'm 6'5" and don't have to do stupid crap like that to get a girls attention.

They're doing it to get your attention. That's all. That said, it's also lame.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's a quick way of attempting to judge your height in relation to their own by raising up to approximate wearing heels of their own.
Exactly!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,463 times
4 inch heels?!? Must be like walking on stilts like a circus clown. Can not imagine the damage it does to your feet. I think I would laugh at a gal wearing such high heels, it is almost akin to platform shoes for guys

However on the men trying to stand taller. It is not unusual for a guy to try to impress by standing as tall as possible and by sucking in his gut. Just typical attraction behavior. Like women who engage in a more rolling hip walk (incidentally that is one of the purposes behind high heels) when around guys they wish to impress.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I'm glad that I'm 6'5" and don't have to do stupid crap like that to get a girls attention.

They're doing it to get your attention. That's all. That said, it's also lame.
I'm also 6'4+ and it is lame. As a tall person, that was the crap you put up with somewhere around the 8th grade. Usually by short people with complexes. Some boys never grow up and should stay awy from 1. Tall women and 2. Alcohol

BTW, I've seen your pic. It may not have been his toes that caused him to stand at attention !

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,046 times
Quote:

Possibly to catch your attention, or he's had a few and is trying to be a goof, or he was attracted to you but insecure that you were taller than him.

Some guys feel that they MUST be taller than the woman or else they feel insecure. Insecurity could be due to the feeling of they can't protect her, they don't want to be teased by other guys, or that if a guy is not your height or taller you won't see or acknowledge him.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times
I just can't see why any guy ( smart or stupid ) would stand on the tip of their toes to make fun of someone's height. I highly doubt there are guys that see that behavior as a legitimate way of making fun of someone's height.

IMHO, they are probably doing it to attract you.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Quote:
6'1" without heels.

Yep...that's tall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships