Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I would gladly get married without reservation, if I was to meet the right girl, and we deeply and truly loved each other...in fact, getting married to a beloved future wife and saying "I do" to her, has been a dream of mine for just about as long as I can remember.

Said, with 100% sincerity and honesty
At some point, what you say probably applies to 90 percent of young men. This is the kind of interest in marriage that Mr GE is likely talking about.

Unfortunately, reality has a nasty way of rearing up and biting these guys on the a$$. They then get more realistic about their prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Nothing like a couple of 17 year olds to think they can make it work! Well... for a week or two!
It should be against the law to marry under 28 years of age ; the difference in maturity between 18 and 28 are light years. Plus every state should have mandatory pre marital courses with a scientific test on the chance for a successful and happy marriage concerning the couples in attendence. Lets get the c_ _ _ on the table beforehand instead of after the wedding ceremony and honeymoon.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
It should be against the law to marry under 28 years of age ; the difference in maturity between 18 and 28 are light years. Plus every state should have mandatory pre marital courses with a scientific test on the chance for a successful and happy marriage concerning the couples in attendence. Lets get the c_ _ _ on the table beforehand instead of after the wedding ceremony and honeymoon.
In a perfect world, people would think with their head rather than what they have lower down.

Some men do and these tend to be the guys who are no longer getting married. They generally wait too long and the pickings become slim.

Some things just require that one jumps in the deep end. Marriage is that way for men, now days. Occasionally, they even make a success of it!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am curious. I often hear men say things like “the time was right” when asked why they got married.

Do you boys actually want to get married to your lovely ladies, or are you just doing it to please them? Would you be happy to stay unmarried if there was no societal pressure?
I don't really want to get married. I did mention it to my sweetheart a few times but she has little interest in getting married as well, except maybe shopping for a dress.

We don't really believe in marriage. It doesn't provide any security, other than legal constraints. It's a tradition and we don't think it has much use in our modern world. Plus, we're 100% atheists. We both think that when you remove the religious part of marriage, it gets awfully less romantic. Getting married in a court doesn't have the romantic scenery of a church.

Thankfully there is little peer pressure where we live. We don't live in the US. I know in the US it's a HUGE deal has evidence by the posts here. Every issue seems to go back to marriage.

I'll be honest, I find this very curious. Where I live, marriage is really not that big a deal, except for people over 60. Whether you are married or not really doesn't mean much.

So yeah, I'm glad to be unmarried.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
I am curious. I often hear men say things like “the time was right” when asked why they got married.

Do you boys actually want to get married to your lovely ladies, or are you just doing it to please them? Would you be happy to stay unmarried if there was no societal pressure?
My best friend is a sniper. Should the words "I'm getting married again" ever come from my mouth, he has clear instructions to shoot me point blank in the forehead. And I've always been able to count on him!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
In a perfect world, people would think with their head rather than what they have lower down.

Some men do and these tend to be the guys who are no longer getting married. They generally wait too long and the pickings become slim.

Some things just require that one jumps in the deep end. Marriage is that way for men, now days. Occasionally, they even make a success of it!
Younger men think with their lower extremity it seems , while older men think concerning their independence/peace/pocketbook/and the divorce rate I suppose thats why cohabitating above 45 is gaining in popularity because its easier to bail out once youve had enough. Sad in a way what american society has become.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I don't really want to get married. I did mention it to my sweetheart a few times but she has little interest in getting married as well, except maybe shopping for a dress.

We don't really believe in marriage. It doesn't provide any security, other than legal constraints. It's a tradition and we don't think it has much use in our modern world. Plus, we're 100% atheists....
I see living together as very conditional security , where if your partner looks at you the wrong way, gains 4.3 lbs of weight, or comes home one too many times in a whiny mood....the door is already ajar to walk thru. I think most people in marriages would tend to try a bit harder (?)

(a little off topic) If youre open, heres my favorite book : http://www.impactapologetics.com/pro...ion=1&P_ID=264

Old 11-25-2010, 04:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I see living together as very conditional security , where if your partner looks at you the wrong way, gains 4.3 lbs of weight, or comes home one too many times in a whiny mood....the door is already ajar to walk thru. I think most people in marriages would tend to try a bit harder (?)
That I agree with, even though nobody tries too hard these days.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
But if she is committed to you, and you are committed to her, and you both know this, why do you need it?

I am not trying to sway you, I am just curious about that too.
I agree. I don't feel a huge need to get married. I would have married the love of my life but that didn't workout. So being close to mid 30s and making more money I'm starting to wonder what the advantages are for men in my group to be married IF the guy has options.

It would take an extraordinary woman to come along and sweep me off my feet. However, I do feel wierd sometimes seeing all of these married folks wondering to myself if I'll have that some day. Then I go right back to thinking that of the women that I'm meeting I wouldn't marry any of them. Long term relationship with them? Sure. Marriage, likely not.

Last edited by he's so hott; 11-25-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 05:02 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
However, I do feel wierd sometimes seeing all of these married folks wondering to myself if I'll have that some day. Then I go right back to thinking that of the women that I'm meeting I wouldn't marry any of them. Long term relationship with them? Sure. Marriage, likely not.
I know, it’s weird huh?

99% of my friends are either engaged, married or already have children. I just don’t feel like I could deal with ANY of those things, even at 30 years old lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships