Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,914 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read this book before?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7640261-sex-at-dawn

I know it is a book, but it focuses on relationships, so I hope it’s ok I posted it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
woohoo! That books on my wish list now!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM

I often wonder as lifespans increase....*and i do feel with the advancements in stem cell research we will see lifespans much greater in the next 20 years* that will traditional marriage fall to the wayside. Will we get married to stable partners for kids...and after move on? Or will we raise kids in a more friend like environment?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Things must have been much easier way back then; instead of saying some BS like 'i'll love you forever' all a man had to do was growl, drool, and grunt...and she understood.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,740 times
Great book! I wish everyone would read it. Have you read it? What did you think of it?

The authors focus mostly on the scientific aspects of prehistory, but I wrote an article about some related ideas here: The spiritual dimensions of Sex at Dawn.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Things must have been much easier way back then; instead of saying some BS like 'i'll love you forever' all a man had to do was growl, drool, and grunt...and she understood.
Okay...I know you were only kidding (and that made me smile, BTW). Even so, I wanted to point out that it's likely it was as convoluted and complex to be worthy of trying for a mate, much less "allowed" (i.e. by other males) to pursue one, much much less be "chosen" by the female, etc. as it was in much more recent history, more or less.

I mean look at the animal kingdom. Most people think of most animals as "less complex" than humans relationship-wise...not necessarily true but let's go with that idea anyway to say, even THOSE beings have complex mating rituals and are by no means guaranteed sex. No, not even by force. Actually, in societal situations, other males are likely to come to the aid of the offended female...by tearing apart the offending male. (Not because they "love" the female, say, but because the underclass male is trying to exert privileges it has no rights to.) Many males of many species die virgins.

ETA: By the way, promiscuity does NOT cut down on competition (usually males v. males) for mating "rights". In fact, usually, it increases it. One major reason is that, given promiscuity, if a female goes from one male one night to another male the next night, the sperm of *either* could do the deed...and the goal of most males biologically when it comes to reproduction is to pass along *their own* sperm, not just, er, take a shot in the dark. (Sorry, I couldn't help it!) So certain species will stay around the female for a period of days and fight off other males to be as sure as possible that nobody else's swimmers get in there during that fertile period.

I can't imagine that early man had it so much easier, or any easier, for that matter...ESPECIALLY given the complexities that forming societies/living in societies brings (to any animal/any species).

Just sayin'...

Also, I read in the brief that the long-held assumption is that very early man pair-bonded/was monogamous. I actually have always heard the opposite..that this pairing off didn't happen until more recently in hominid history. But then again, I'm not sure how far back the authors are going.

....Now...to put that book on my wish list! I'm a real anthropology nerd. (And I do believe promiscuity was more likely than pair-bonding and/or monogamy in the early stages of man, depending upon how far back we're talking.)

Last edited by JerZ; 11-22-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Someone needs to post this book on the christian forum

Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,606 times
Well it explains morning wood anyway.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Great book! I wish everyone would read it. Have you read it? What did you think of it?

The authors focus mostly on the scientific aspects of prehistory, but I wrote an article about some related ideas here: The spiritual dimensions of Sex at Dawn.
Great piece, Gaylen!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
I don't understand why people need to look for excuses and justification for being unfaithful... It's a choice nobody forces on you anyway. Just find a partner on the same wavelength as you and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships